Land Advice

2130martin

Afternoon All

I have a piece of land which I would like to make more attractive to Deer,it is 5 acres of quite poor grazing grassland alongside a fast flowing river and surounded in farmland,I have seen Roe deer on it on occasion but they are only transient.
What is the best thing to do to attract and hold some Roe?I have been thinking along the lines of planting a Cider Orchard,what would you do?
Obviously a solution with a quick result would be most favourable.....

Thanks

Martin

Get some kings deer lawn mix it works a treat, willow is very good too but most effective Iv found for attracting roe along with bleedin badgers is a pheasant feeder full of wheat !

get a grant and plant trees 3acres
with a game crop like maize 1 acre
and a short lawn /meadow 1 acre
and a salt lick

It really depends on exactly what you're trying to achieve. Are you hoping to attract them in from over the border with tempting food? or are you trying to create a habitat which will provide great cover for them to lay up in?

It really depends on exactly what you're trying to achieve. Are you hoping to attract them in from over the border with tempting food? or are you trying to create a habitat which will provide great cover for them to lay up in?

i was hoping,5 acres would do a bit of each and a highseat in a clearing or two aswell!!;)

I'd mix it up with as much variety as you can......mixed seed grass/oats/barley/wheat/veg seed, trees......willow, blackthorn, apple, cherry, or anything you fancy that isn't abundant elsewhere locally. I'd leave it go pretty wild after that if you have the shooting on the surrounding farmland and set up a highseat either side of the area so you have options according to weather etc.

Back