Thread: Unusual liver?

Unusual liver?

I was preparing a fallow doe liver for a liver pâté and there are some strange bits I am not sure about. Some of the liver had hard lumps, a out fingernail size. On cutting them open I could squeeze out the contents which were like a dark fudge in consistency. The liver was also full of clean holes. Is this normal?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Hi Wilf,

Fallow are not my usual quarry but that doesn't look right to me. Was the deer otherwise healthy? How was the rest of the pluck/gralloch?

IMO avoid.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

The rest of the animal was fine with no signs of illness

Looks like chronic fluke damage. Picture 2 looks quite normal. You do have large blood vessels in the liver and bile ducts that give holes. As there is increased scarring you could postulate increased vascular resistance and those vessels dilating.

Bin the liver. Eat the rest. Make pate another day.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Agreed , photo 1, 4 is typical of fluke. 2 & 3 do look relatively normal. This is the liver trying to repair itself

100% liver fluke pal
    Hunting isn't just something I do it's part of who I am

down my way two years ago neally all my fallow had fluke, often finding the flatworms in the ducts last year wasnt so bad about 50% heres wondering what august will bring.

Thanks for the replies. It went in the bin.