Zeiss Conquest HD 8 X 42 Binos

esoxecosse

Just bought a set of these mail order, (nowhere local to try em out) and although the build quality and image quality is outstanding I find them very critical on eye relief and eyepiece spacing, I've made sure the eyepiece's are extended out but find they are just kissing my eyebrows and no more to get a perfect image, any closer or further and I'm starting to get black edges creeping in from either side, also being that wee bit further from my eye than I would like I can almost see around them, can't be good on a really bright day I think.
Have any of you fella's had any similar issues or is it just me..?
Thanks in advance for any opinions.
I'm moving up from an old set of 8x42WA Opticron Countrymen and thought it might be the transition from one style to the other.

Cheers

MarkC

Mark,

I believe 8x42 is not an ideal ratio for eye relief - a ratio delivering 7mm is ideal?

For what it is worth I always suffer with eye relief problems and spacing on bins but my Zeiss Victory T 8x56 are the first pair I have had that work for me and that I can merge the 2 images perfectly into a circle. I do have to have the ep cups wound out to the max though.

A lot depends on your personal anatomy, we all have different shaped eyeballs, and differently spaced eyes....

Thanks for the reply Lotuseater, to be truthful this is the first time I've had a problem with binoculars of any sort, my old Opticrons are just fine and the wee cheapo's I carry in my fishing bag are fine also.
After doing a bit of digging yesterday I did find a thread on a bird watching forum that mentions the exact problem I'm suffering from with the conquest HD, New Zeiss Conquest HD - Page 7 - BirdForum
I have seen mentioned that the 10x42 doesn't seem to suffer as badly as the 8x42 with this problem, can anyone on here either confirm or put the kibosh on this notion.
I must admit I'm very disappointed with my Conquest HD's, it's the first time I've spent that sort of money on a bino and expected great things, to be fair the image quality is superb when I can see through them properly it's just not that often that I can..:cry:

Cheers

MarkC

Just bought a set of these mail order, (nowhere local to try em out) and although the build quality and image quality is outstanding I find them very critical on eye relief and eyepiece spacing, I've made sure the eyepiece's are extended out but find they are just kissing my eyebrows and no more to get a perfect image, any closer or further and I'm starting to get black edges creeping in from either side, also being that wee bit further from my eye than I would like I can almost see around them, can't be good on a really bright day I think.
Have any of you fella's had any similar issues or is it just me..?
Thanks in advance for any opinions.
I'm moving up from an old set of 8x42WA Opticron Countrymen and thought it might be the transition from one style to the other.

Cheers

MarkC

I have a pair of these and do not have this problem. However I think you will be able to solve this with a pair of the Avian eye cups/wings that are available on Ebay.
John.

The Conquest HD binoculars has an eye relief of 18mm. In optical design the minimum eye relief for binoculars allowing a spectacle wearer to obtain a full field of view is 15mm. Eye relief is not the eyecup, but where the light path converges after leaving the exit pupil. The Conquest HD should be more than sufficient to allow you to view without any vignetting, however as in all cases, there may be differences due to the physical characteristics of each and everyone of us. Try placing the eyecups in one of the intermediate positions ? It is possible now to have some binoculars with this facility, in other words, no longer fully up (for non spectacle wearers) or fully down (for spectacles). Adjusting the eyecups may help you solve the problem.

I sent them back to Zeiss after phoning them and finding out the eye pieces should have three settings, mine didn't, only one setting then the eye pieces would unscrew.
That was nearly a month ago now and I still haven't received my brand new bino's back from Zeiss, waiting on replacement eye pieces coming from Germany, called them yesterday and asked why they couldn't just take the eye pieces off a new pair and get them sent out to me, I also asked about my £12 postage being refunded..?
As mentioned above I wish I had sent them back to the vendor now and bought a set of Swarovski's.
Those Avian eye cups on ebay look pretty good though, might have a set of those.

Cheers

MarkC

Update, bino's arrived back today with working eye pieces, I've got them fully adjusted out and they are perfect for me now, IQ is stunning, focus wheel butter smooth as well, all I need now is a carry case/cover for them, total adjusted out size is 160mm, any recommendations..?

Cheers

MarkC

Back