Home Loading

dalem

Has anyone notified their home insurer that they reload at home and if so what was the result?

- Dale

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't told my insurer that I home load.
Come to think of it, I haven't told them that I carry out maintenance on my vehicles, that I use power tools around the place or that I carry out any other perfectly legal activity.

Dale if you do a site search you will find a previous discussion on this matter. Most took the view that unless you are specifically required to inform them of such activities then why do so. The risk is actually much less that storing LPG camping gas cylinders at home or petrol for your lawnmower in the shed/garage. How many people actually inform their insurers that they do this.

Let alone have a garage attached to the house full of cars, lawnmowers and accociated junk! Plus paint thinners, err, paint, gas canisters, batteries....
Or for that matter charging Li-Ion batteries overnight...anytime in fact.

I store my stuff outside (also a black powder shooter) as I'd not want a bonfire in the house.
Mind you not sure that a tin of H380 would make much of a difference in a house fire let alone a box of 12 bore cartridges (or a slab)...

It wouldn't make much of a difference believe me Barkingstoke. An extensive video collection makes a much larger fire loading and as for gas cylinders in heaters simply don't go there as I've seen a few fatalities attributed to them including a colleague.

Dale if you do a site search you will find a previous discussion on this matter. Most took the view that unless you are specifically required to inform them of such activities then why do so. The risk is actually much less that storing LPG camping gas cylinders at home or petrol for your lawnmower in the shed/garage. How many people actually inform their insurers that they do this.
I entirely agree with you on this one 8X57, it's that old Dennis Healey saying (ex chancellor of the exchequer) who famously stated, WHEN IN A HOLE.......DON'T DIG!!!!!!

An extensive video collection makes a much larger fire loading...

Never thought about it but, fortunately, ours has gone to the big junk yard in the sky...and, yes, they'll burn very well indeed.

As for gas cylinders...oh yes.

I removed the risk by doing all my reloading in the Mess after work. It's that or drink myself to death in the bar.

A fireman friend told me he would be more worried about gas cylinders than reloading components in a fire, he saw them more as a risk.
I was told to keep my Black powder however in the roof, that way if I had a fire at least if it went bang it would mainly be up high.
I have my guns insured under my home insurance and they never mention Ammunition or components.

Here in the US folks are starting to hide their firearms related activity. It's starting to get pretty bad with unannounced seizures and police surveillance. We really are ceasing to be a (relatively) free country.

I never volunteer information. I just honestly answer any questions asked and no more. This goes for things other than Insurance too.

Yorkie.

Back