Thread: A Dilemma

A Dilemma

Hi Guys, just looking for some of your thoughts.
    I currently run a couple of ess bitches both very well bred and excellent grafters, have produced exceptional litters, Now my GWP is a strong dog with cracking amount of speed and hunts well, but not I feel good enough, but that's maybe his age and a lack of good opportunities,
    I'm thinking of putting him over one of the spaniels later in the year, I just wondered if anybody had experience of this cross,

No experience of this cross and personally would not even consider it but just out of curiosity what would you expect out of the cross?

Why would you cross an air scenting dog with a ground scenting flushing dog, as Gazza says what do you think you will produce apart from more mongrels. And yes I have seen same cross, and can clearly say no benefit to either breed. If your Wire is lacking then perhaps more training and or work would do more good.

​ Regards WIDU.

I've seen GWP ESS crosses before, they tend to be very ugly dogs. I've seen far more GWPs crossed with labs which I could see being a bit of a more desirable cross. Personally, I'd put him to a GWP.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

you see why i said dilemma, it was a consideration not a definate, Im not even sure the gwp is lacking anything to be honest, he tracks and hunts and ive done a lot of training of scent finds and flush, Its just perhaps my mind working overtime, I guess to see a dog like a gwp hunt like a spaniel when on a scent gave a little appeal but point made and appreciate the frankness. Oh hes my very first Gwp hpr of any type always worked spaniels just saw one on a shoot last year working at beating and was very impressed.

Its too hit and miss, with many more misses than hits. Stick to the breed when mating to get the best results.