Fox releases

shootingduckdog

Just a thought as I get a bit bored with the idea that foxes are being released all over the countryside. Would the RSPCA have to respond to a freedom for information request regarding the number of foxes they capture and/or treat in a year?

They way people talk about released foxes you get the impression it must be into the thousands and I find that pill a bit hard to swallow!!

I DO ACCEPT that some are released as I have seen pictures of animals that have clearly had surgery. However I am sure many "recovered" mangy foxes are not. Hairloss or loss of condition can be for a large number of reasons, many of which we are ignorant to.

Anyway I just wondered if we could force the RSPCA hand a bit as they are a charity or does the freedom of information only apply to government?

cheers

ps I am not having a go Paddy as for 1 thing I know that peoples experiences with foxes varies enormously in different areas of the country

my guess is you will have as much luck getting that info out of the RSPCA as I did getting the total value of venison sales out of the Forestry Commission!

Data has to exist for them to give it to you.
if they don't keep it they can't break any data laws

The antis are denying that any foxes are released by any animal charities at all so I would doubt the RSPCA would even consider playing ball.Theres a pro-fox website somewhere that spouts a lot of rubbish about this and other related subjects but I can't think of it for the life of me at the moment.
As for the FC venson revenue I was told by a FC Wildlife Ranger that they have been burying carcasses!The same bloke has also said that they have all had to swap to .308s recently too as a cost measure.

The antis are denying that any foxes are released by any animal charities at all so I would doubt the RSPCA would even consider playing ball.Theres a pro-fox website somewhere that spouts a lot of rubbish about this and other related subjects but I can't think of it for the life of me at the moment.
As for the FC venson revenue I was told by a FC Wildlife Ranger that they have been burying carcasses!The same bloke has also said that they have all had to swap to .308s recently too as a cost measure.
Have a look at the website for "the fox project" at Pembury, they boast how many they have released, i think it run into thousands, last year i got a bottle of whisky off the sporting rifle after getting a letter published by them about it.

I'll have a butchers at that,thanks.

Must say ,when I was keepering I snared 3 adult foxes on one beet field(outside wheeling) in August one of which had obvious stitch scars on its fore leg! We were close to a National Trust property and I often wondered if they had perhaps been released there

Dear oh dear!

Mind after reading through all of the bragging it was good to see Rolf Harris found time to help them out in between his less PC activities,the upstanding member of society that he is :evil:

its usualy privately owned rescue centers so you wont get any figures , google "little foxes" and feel free to let Penny Little know what you think

The RSPCA is a complicated organisation that operates in many layers. Fundamentally there is the parent organisation with all the money. They have the call centres and the inspectors. A lot of work at the local level is done by local groups associated with the RSPCA. They do their own fund-raising and spend their own money locally. They use the RSPCA branding. They tend to run the catteries and have charity shops in town.

I don't believe for a single second that the central organisation has a policy of capture (treat/neuter etc) and release foxes from towns to the countryside. What the local groups use their money for is anyone's guess. My experiences of the local groups has been 'pot luck' depending who you speak to. They will contribute to vet fess in times of hardship if they feel like it, have the funds and the wind is blowing the right way. IF this is happening then it will be at local level and the main charity may be completely unaware.

The RSPCA is a complicated organisation that operates in many layers. Fundamentally there is the parent organisation with all the money. They have the call centres and the inspectors. A lot of work at the local level is done by local groups associated with the RSPCA. They do their own fund-raising and spend their own money locally. They use the RSPCA branding. They tend to run the catteries and have charity shops in town.

I don't believe for a single second that the central organisation has a policy of capture (treat/neuter etc) and release foxes from towns to the countryside. What the local groups use their money for is anyone's guess. My experiences of the local groups has been 'pot luck' depending who you speak to. They will contribute to vet fess in times of hardship if they feel like it, have the funds and the wind is blowing the right way. IF this is happening then it will be at local level and the main charity may be completely unaware.

Similar situation to a landowner who employs a keeper that gets caught killing birds of prey.
Somehow the pleas of not being aware what was going on don't seem to work when its that way round though .I know that it is a simplified view and that the RSPCA are a larger organisation but.................;)

Just a thought as I get a bit bored with the idea that foxes are being released all over the countryside. Would the RSPCA have to respond to a freedom for information request regarding the number of foxes they capture and/or treat in a year?

They way people talk about released foxes you get the impression it must be into the thousands and I find that pill a bit hard to swallow!!

I DO ACCEPT that some are released as I have seen pictures of animals that have clearly had surgery. However I am sure many "recovered" mangy foxes are not. Hairloss or loss of condition can be for a large number of reasons, many of which we are ignorant to.

Anyway I just wondered if we could force the RSPCA hand a bit as they are a charity or does the freedom of information only apply to government?

cheers

ps I am not having a go Paddy as for 1 thing I know that peoples experiences with foxes varies enormously in different areas of the country

I have shot a few dog foxes who have been castrated, vixens with a healed up belly scar. 73 have been shot on a 225 acre farm since Jan 2011 which is close by national trust woodlands.
I have seen foxes just wandering up and down one of the lanes that cut through the woods they look right out of place and a few days later they are on the farm just staring at the lamp with no care at all.
A mate has pulled up to a van on a back road just as a guy was shutting the sliding door he pulled the door back and it was empty, quizzing the driver he spotted his rspca coat under a rain coat.
A local farm manager has come across the same van a couple of months later so it does happen.
It is not right but it does happen… I once replied to a woman who was shouting at us when we where long netting, she said over the fence “why don’t you give a chance”
I replied…” we do madam…just not much of one”
It is the same with the foxes…

Tim.243

Only the ones they can't sell to Highland Game because they are blown to bits!!
As for cost saving rifles they had a tender out that was discussed on this site not so long ago to replace all their existing rifles with new ones.
At no point is that a cost saving and I don't buy that all the ones they have are all shot out

but we digress.

Can't see how the RSPCA will ever admit to something that would leave them wide open for criticism or even prosecution

I take Apaches comments
IF this is happening then it will be at local level and the main charity may be completely unaware.
I suggest the main RSPCA not knowing what their other departments are doing would not make an adequate defence as the board of directors or chairman (whoever is in ultimate charge) should be responsible for everything that is happening under them ?? Just a thought I would have no knollage if they are covered by the freedom of information,

Only the ones they can't sell to Highland Game because they are blown to bits!!
As for cost saving rifles they had a tender out that was discussed on this site not so long ago to replace all their existing rifles with new ones.
At no point is that a cost saving and I don't buy that all the ones they have are all shot out

but we digress.

Can't see how the RSPCA will ever admit to something that would leave them wide open for criticism or even prosecution

Thanks for that.
I did wonder about what he was telling me and if he was giving me a slightly tainted opinion.

I take Apaches comments
IF this is happening then it will be at local level and the main charity may be completely unaware.
I suggest the main RSPCA not knowing what their other departments are doing would not make an adequate defence as the board of directors or chairman (whoever is in ultimate charge) should be responsible for everything that is happening under them ?? Just a thought I would have no knollage if they are covered by the freedom of information,

That's what I was attempting to say but not as well worded as that reply! :oops:

I take Apaches comments

They are all separate entities, each registered as a charity in their own right and responsible for their own fundraising. They are not obliged to and tend not to inform the main RSPCA of their activities

They are all separate entities, each registered as a charity in their own right and responsible for their own fundraising. They are not obliged to and tend not to inform the main RSPCA of their activities

are you sure about this?
not aware of them being run like a franchise and certainly not sure how someone leaving their estate to a national charity would have their estate gifted to a local office over and above the national office.

are you sure about this?
not aware of them being run like a franchise and certainly not sure how someone leaving their estate to a national charity would have their estate gifted to a local office over and above the national office.

Search your local RSPCA branch and plug the charity number into the charities commission website.

Find charities - Charity Commission

Or just search RSPCA - you get over 250 results as charities with RSPCA in their name.

Back