Tricky scope spec- can you help me?

BWH

I have a list of specs for a scope but am struggling to work out which is the right one to go for. I am after
1. Top end mag over 10x
2. reticle in FFP
3. Quality glass
4. Illuminated ret
5.External turret adj inc windage
6. a 42mm obj.
7. 3.75-4'' eye relief
The closest I get is a S&B 3-12x42 but I am having trouble getting anyone to quote for the scope. Anyone any other ideas? Thanks

I have the 3-12x42 S&B and would highly recommend it - the only thing it doesn't have on your wish list is illumination and external turrets, but I have never needed them. I have a Z6i with ballistic turrets and illumination - only ever used the BT at the range and never used the illumination. In the field I always use hold-over as it is generally quicker than fidling with turrets, and time spent at the range has taught me how the rifle behaves in different conditions. I don't know of another scope with first focal plane reticle. I've always felt the S&B feels more rugged than the Swarovski too, Z6i just 'feels' delicate.
Try and find one second hand?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I don't think the Swarovski comes in FFP? The PM2 is heavier and 34mm? main tube which makes it less attractive than the 3-12. Also it is difficult getting anyone t0 quote for a non stock Sand B.

Thanks. It is available with illum and can be ordered with external adj. I agree that holdover is most simple when stalking hence the need for FFP ret, but I like the option of external adj for longer range foxing. The scope is for a .25-06.

What about a nightforce 3.5x15x50. Front obj lens is a little bigger then you wanted.
But they great range of ir rets and target turrets

Nightforce is a possibility but I had a different spec before and didn't like the fact that the whole eye piece turned when changing mag.

Thanks. It is available with illum and can be ordered with external adj. I agree that holdover is most simple when stalking hence the need for FFP ret, but I like the option of external adj for longer range foxing. The scope is for a .25-06.

That would be a lovely scope, I think you've found your answer - just have to wait a bit for it to be delivered?

Thanks for the replies. The leicas have good eye relief but no FFP. The Kahles are great glass but this model doesn't meet the spec. I normally use Apel mounts.

Seems like a S&B is on the cards then! Either that or compromise on a slightly larger objective which opens up much greater choice. Do Leupold not do anything suitable?

Well you never said anything about weight or tube size in your original post ?

Try the march 2.5-24x42 , all the features you want and small and light ? I've got one on my 260rem stalking rifle?

I have a 4-12x42 S&B FFP,
30mm tube I was considering selling
its a 4a reticule
non ill and non Target turrets
​solid bit of kit

Well you never said anything about weight or tube size in your original post ?

Try the march 2.5-24x42 , all the features you want and small and light ? I've got one on my 260rem stalking rifle?
Thanks, I didn't say anything about tube size or weight you're right! The March scope looks interesting. How do you find it in terms of lens quality and the variable eye relief?

Lens quality is superb but you do need top conditions if you want to crank it up all the way on the mag but that's because it's only a 42 front end ?

Ive never had any bother with eye relief

i really think that for its features and size there is no comparison currently but they are big money !

Thank you, it looks very interesting and appears to be well reviewed from what I have been able to google.

Back