Gaiter reviews needed

Salmo Salar

Looking for any views on, preferably front zip Gaiters that are fairly waterproof as the they will be going through bogs and also tough enough for heather at the Grouse. (Boots are Le Chameau Mouflon Plus)

Gaiter reviews needed

Go on then, you supply them and I will review them for you. :rofl:

The only waterproof ones I know of are the Berghaus Yeti gaiters. They fit to the boot so not sure how they would work with your boots.

I've destroyed a few expensive ones and to be honest i now have some army surplus ones £10 off eBay!

Kammo gaiters are great Al . Mine are probably five years old now and still going strong and you know some of the ground they are used on.

I've used le chameau koktors for the past five years picking up, can't fault them... And I'm not the sort that picks up in the short grass fifty yards behind the gun line....

regards, Jez

Honestly you cannot get better than Black Island gaiters, superbly hard wearing. So much better than the almost disposable crap the big names churn out!

Not sure about front zips as that's the first point of failure, and they should really be at the back

I have had the same Yeti gaiters for 19 years
they are on their 3rd or 4th set or rubber rands, cheap replacement

front zip is covered by velcro flap, never failed
still waterproof

awesome bits of kit

with some judicious trimming and liberal use of silicone sealant you can get them to fit any boot

+1 Tjwaines

i have a pair Black Islander gaiters which I use throughout the shooting season beating on the grouse and pheasant as well as stalking and can honestly say they are brilliant if a little on the expensive side. They have a zip front with Velcro flap that let's you put them on without taking your feet off the ground. They are totally waterproof and hard wearing and don't make your legs sweat.

​Willie

Use LeCh Kokter gaiters. They are side zipping, and function really well, with wire understrap that doesn't get trashed.
THE only downside to them is that the supplied zips were fine in warm weather, but get them wet in the cold and with small amounts of grit and they are a dog to zip up as the zip is thinly toothed (grit gets in-between the teeth, difficult to shift in the field). Thankfully my Mother In Law is about to refit them with new chunkier (bigger toothed) OPTI zips; then they'll be perfect.
Ex-MoD gaiter also great, but come in DPM only.

I have had the same Yeti gaiters for 19 years
they are on their 3rd or 4th set or rubber rands, cheap replacement

front zip is covered by velcro flap, never failed
still waterproof

awesome bits of kit

with some judicious trimming and liberal use of silicone sealant you can get them to fit any boot

Having used yeti gators I can say they are good but can be a problem fitting and they are particular to the type of sole they fit. If you glue or silicone the leather is almost impossible to clean and treat.

Use LeCh Kokter gaiters. They are side zipping, and function really well, with wire understrap that doesn't get trashed.
THE only downside to them is that the supplied zips were fine in warm weather, but get them wet in the cold and with small amounts of grit and they are a dog to zip up as the zip is thinly toothed (grit gets in-between the teeth, difficult to shift in the field). Thankfully my Mother In Law is about to refit them with new chunkier (bigger toothed) OPTI zips; then they'll be perfect.
Ex-MoD gaiter also great, but come in DPM only.

The older models are OD. They work fine but all gaiters apart from the neoprene ones are noisy!

Having used yeti gators I can say they are good but can be a problem fitting and they are particular to the type of sole they fit. If you glue or silicone the leather is almost impossible to clean and treat.

If you glue and silicon them round the sole you will never have to!!
the water never comes in.
mine are like wellies, happily stand in calf deep water for a minute or so without getting wet

they are a tight fit but the groove round the welt is not required.
I fitted a pair to some Kodiak boots I have with perfect results

Personally having tried a few types I was happy to give up on them..

Your leg will be wet through with sweat and will remain wet. Unlike getting your trousers wet and then drying out over time.

Id rather carry a spare pair of socks and small powder bottle for whole days out putting some miles in..

Just my opinion

Good points PS. Another thing to consider is water runs down your leg and inside your boots or gaiters. Plus 4's are useful to try prevent this.

​If you don't treat leather it will rot as will the stitching!

Back