adjusting the trigger on a howa 1500

the scudd

hi after missing the best buck of my life last nite i,m looking to lighten my howa,s triggerbut i,m not sure which screw to turn .does anyone know is it the 1 behind the trigger or the 1infront of it. any advice appreciated.the scudd

howa trigger

You must work with caution on this one, you can end up with the safety inoperative & also slamfires, one screw alters the creep, the other the pull weight, the rear screw is for creep, the front for break pull weight, if you are not sure what you are doing, get someone who has the ability to do it for you, 8)

I just picked up my Howa 1500 on Friday and also thought the trigger was on the heavy side... Since I haven't even shot it yet I don't know whether to try and get it lightened now, or wait a while...

I would have to have someone do the work for me as I wouldnt feel comfortable doing it myself...

I adjusted mine and as said it was a bit dodgy! I got it set really light but it did affect the safety catch when set too light. I ended up shearing the side off a grub screw too just to make things worse! :cry: I ended up doubting whether it was safe so it had to go!
I then bought a riflebasix one from south yorkshire shooting. Very pleased with it for £104. Easily fitted with just one screw too and transformed the rifle to be honest. I'll try and find a link.....
Here you go:
http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/trigger_kits.html
If you get the WTHBY 1 it adjusts from 1.5-4 lbs but is factory set at about 2lbs which I found to be perfect for my needs.
Best £104 I spent for a while. ;)

howa triggers

Having played the caution card, It's not rocket science, if you have mechanical aptitude allied with common sense, you should not be put off from moving stuff about, just remember where & why it was when you started! :)

the scudd , i take it to be a fallow buck , when you said " i missed the best buck of my life "...
you kinda have me worried , i an afraid to go stalking in the bushes..

Re: howa triggers

finnbear270 said:
Having played the caution card, It's not rocket science, if you have mechanical aptitude allied with common sense, you should not be put off from moving stuff about, just remember where & why it was when you started! :)

My problem is that I always have bits left over or can't get things like springs to go back in - whenever I try servicing my fishing reels I always end up geting it wrong and have to take it to the local tackle shop!

When it comes to firearms I think I'll skip the intermediate step and just get a pro to do it!

Roedale Precision in Germany offers a trigger tuning service for the howa trigger 75,- Euros. Just stick the trigger unit in the mail.
I had a trigger that he tuned to maybe 500 grams , was the best trigger I ever had.
edi

Before you fork out on an entirely new trigger mechanism, get a good riflesmith to have a look at it for you - Mike Norris (of Brock & Norris, nr Telford in Shropshire) does a fantastic tuning job on Howa triggers for around £45. Mind you, he tends towards pull weights measured in nanogrammes :eek: , so make sure you specify a field trigger weight rather than an benchrest one that goes off it you look at it a bit hard!

Richard Pope (of Swift Custom Rifles, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire) is very good too.

Adam.

thanks for the replies fella,s ,i went last nite and got it sorted by agunsmith,he got it down from 4.5 pounds to 2 pound and all for the princly sum of 10 pound :) so hopefully i will get out tonite to try it out.thanks the scudd

Old thread but why start a new one....

How do I know which trigger is in my shelf bought HOWA 1500 6.5CM and is there anywhere still local to Shropshire/North Wales to adjust it?

If your safety knob is a solid half circle you have the old type trigger, if it’s a bent flat plate it’s the HACT trigger.

Old thread but why start a new one....

How do I know which trigger is in my shelf bought HOWA 1500 6.5CM and is there anywhere still local to Shropshire/North Wales to adjust it?

Plenty info on the internet, Howa advertise the HACT as being end user adjustable.

Personally don't like the HACT two stage,it's a cheap unit but works. The 'saftey' lever (bent bit of metal) was annoying and I wanted a single stage, traded with a member on here for the older Howa single stage unit, didn't like the fact that the 'saftey' was a three position setup with a long throw and audible detent clicks.

Bit the bullet and bought a Timney unit, which is about the only available aftermarket replacement, and it is just OK. About equivalent with a stock Tikka trigger, only the Rem 700 and clones have access to good aftermarket triggers unless you want to drop the coin on BixNAndy who make Sako and Tikka compatible ball bearing triggers.

Back on topic, guys like @dodgyknees do fine with the HACT trigger (spring replacement from Gunbloke?) and it's a matter of following some simple instructions to do this.

However, I'm sure a local 'smith' will be happy to take your money to fiddle with the screws a bit and claim it has been 'tuned'...

Plenty info on the internet, Howa advertise the HACT as being end user adjustable.

Personally don't like the HACT two stage,it's a cheap unit but works. The 'saftey' lever (bent bit of metal) was annoying and I wanted a single stage, traded with a member on here for the older Howa single stage unit, didn't like the fact that the 'saftey' was a three position setup with a long throw and audible detent clicks.

Bit the bullet and bought a Timney unit, which is about the only available aftermarket replacement, and it is just OK. About equivalent with a stock Tikka trigger, only the Rem 700 and clones have access to good aftermarket triggers unless you want to drop the coin on BixNAndy who make Sako and Tikka compatible ball bearing triggers.

Back on topic, guys like @dodgyknees do fine with the HACT trigger (spring replacement from Gunbloke?) and it's a matter of following some simple instructions to do this.

However, I'm sure a local 'smith' will be happy to take your money to fiddle with the screws a bit and claim it has been 'tuned'...
Thanks Caberslash,

I'll do some reading up.

I had the old trigger on my .308 and then got the hact trigger on my newer .223. After a few rounds with the .223 I hates the old trigger and managed to find a hact trigger to drop into my .308. Personally I find the hact a much nicer unit. Both triggers were checked and repeatedly break at 2.5lbs. That’s as factory, not adjusted at all.

Back