Aggressive Badgers!

PointBlank

I took my GSP out for the first time with me tonight and we ended up having a bit of a confrontation in one of the small woods that I stalk which is plagued by badgers. We had just got into the wood when there was a badger in the middle of the track about 10' away which isn't uncommon, I assumed it would move out of the way as we moved through like usual and disappear into cover. What I wasn't expecting was a double-hard badger which puffed itself up and hissed and started stalking towards my GSP and then charged! I had to swing my sticks at it to try and scare it off which it did just before it connected with the dog. After this altercation we continued through the wood only about another 10m when we met another and blow me this one wanted a go as well! I actually managed to pin it against the ground with my sticks and pushed it away.

Never seen this reaction before, is it because of the dog this time or are they particularly protective at this time of year? My GSP was a nervous wreck and so was I, all I could think was vet bills!

Last edited:
They are probably suffering from 'mad badger disease' mate. Dr Brian May is trying to find a cure.

:)

Glad we got a buck later on otherwise she could have been put off for good. Probably saw between 15-20 badgers on about 500 acres this evening before sunset.... and they say the population isn't too high :stir:

Local MP in Derbyshire is actually saying that if the cull takes place it will lead to the extinction of badgers in the UK!
​She obviously doesn't get out much then.

You were lucky. Sooner or later some dog walker will have a similar incident and not be able to stop the attack ending up with the dog savaged and possibly killed and the owner mauled trying to save the dog then all hell will break loose. No doubt May the "mouth" and his supporters will blame the owner.

They've know about the cull... I knew this day would come it was for-told..... The revolution it's here.....

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

“Four legs good, two legs bad.”

“The only good human being is a dead one"

They've know about the cull... I knew this day would come it was for-told..... The revolution it's here.....

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

“Four legs good, two legs bad.”

“The only good human being is a dead one"
:rofl:

A few years ago I was conducting perimeter fence checks at Manchester airport about 0300hrs when a badger appeared in front of the Range Rover. It was running away and made 3 attempts to escape through the fence without success. It then turned showed its teeth and attacked the vehicle.
Result:
Range Rover 1 : Badger 0
My partner in the passenger seat was traumatised as I reversed just to make sure
Wingy

They might have had their young somewhere close-by. Most times a badger will run from a dog that is keen but with young nearby they can be savage.
I would avoid the area for a few weeks until the young have had a chance to move on.

A couple of years ago i was helping a friend set up a field archery course in a 150 acre mature wood, complete with badger setts and badgers. we were carrying the targets around to their positions, they were large animal targets pasted onto corri board.
i had a bundle of 4x4ft ones under one arm and Mark who was in front of me had an 8x4 one with a large deer target on it .now Mark is an army lad and was dressed in his work gear boots and all .

There is a large badger sett on part of the course and as we approached it i could see a half grown cub scratching in the bushes looking for bugs etc . Mark didn't see him and the badger cub didn't see us, as we got a bit closer it dawned on young broc that there was a human present and panic set in ,he made a fast and furious attempt to go home quickly,the trouble was Mark was between him and his sett!!!! Mark saw him flying towards him and shouted f88k instantly assessed the situation with his sharp military mind and stuck the 8x4 sheet of corriboard firmly on the ground as a barrier between him and broc , broc had his head down and kept pushing and shoving trying to get through mark was shouting and yelling f88k f88k f8kk he’s trying to get me .At this point i was on the floor with tears rolling down my cheeks, it seems to last for ages probably was less than a minute the cub eventually realised that retreat was the best option and ran off down another entrance but it was so funny

Last edited:
I had one coming towards me once when I was out rabbit shooting with the .22. I was scanning ahead through the NV scope and I saw the badger making straight for me. I must have been standing on his run. Just out of interest I kept watching him through the scope to see how close he'd get. I thought he would run into me when he realised I, or something at least, was there and came to a sudden stop with a loud bark, dug his feet in and barked and snarled like a defensive dog, then pronked forward again on all four feet baring his teeth and snarling. At that point he must then have caught a whiff of me and realised what I was, because he suddenly thought better of it, turned tail and legged it, barking like a roe buck.
Badgers are an absolute pest but I have to admire their attitude. If in doubt, have a pop anyway. They remind me of the Black Knight on Monty Python: "Come on 'en! Wassa matter with ya!"

I'm sorry but every time I read or hear about badgers this tune gets in my head!! I've watched it to 23mins and it doesn't change, trust me!!! :-|

In the days when we could shoot them, I had one go for me after I had rolled it over with a 12 bore, it wasn't happy and I shot it when it was a few feet away.

I also had two good terriers go to ground that suddenly appeared comintg back out of the sett like their backsides were on fire, behind them a sow badger clearly who had young and was she mad! She chased the terriers for about 100 yards before snuffling and grumbling back up the hill and back down below totally ignoring me. They can be difficult to say the least and they fear pretty well nothing.

I too have stumbled on a few badgers that made me jump out of my skin when they hissed 2 feet way from me :D

You were lucky. Sooner or later some dog walker will have a similar incident and not be able to stop the attack ending up with the dog savaged and possibly killed and the owner mauled trying to save the dog then all hell will break loose. No doubt May the "mouth" and his supporters will blame the owner.

I really sorry to say this but this is the kind of thing that would need to happen to get badgers on the general lincence, i would feel terrible for the person but its things like this that stick in the public's mind and help enlighten them.

Andy7mm

Back