I need a new camera for around 200 quid - Any ideas?

stratts

The Mrs and I have decided it's time to get a new camera which needs to be idiot proof, point and click for around 200 quid ish.

Anyone got any suggestions of one they've bought and ones to avoid please?

Last one we bought was a Sony sureshot thing yonks ago,

Cheers

Morning Stratts

We bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 a couple of years ago and it's brilliant. Point and shoot - idiot proof (even I can use it!!)

It's got a Leica lens, and the newest versions (TZ30 & 35) will be within your budget. Well worth a look

Cheers
iain

I have had problems with Lumix cameras not being tough enough. Would not buy again.

Regards

​Ed

Almost any fairly recent Lumix - buy a second hand/ old stock from Ebay - you can't go wrong
​Ed

Used to do house clearance work - ie removing rubbish and furniture, not crash the door, flash bang in etc ...:D

You can imagine it was quite physical and mucky work. The contract required pics at every stage - I used a Samsung compact digital. Great quality pics, easy to use, but with option of some fancier stuff and took everything thrown at it. They were about £100 at the time.

Now have a Canon DSLR - great, different league - but never with me when 'that pic shot' crops up. So anothe Samsung is on the shopping list - the camera you have in your hand aces the one at home everytime!

To pick peoples brains - a client had a compact digital last year. Cannot recall make nor model and I was so impressed I wrote the details on my hand - only to co-incide with my annual bath night! It was very compact, took cracking pictures and come dusk he pressed a button and the thing produced an image on a par with FLIR kit on an Apache Assault Helicopter! Any clues what it was?

2p worth
i have pentax adventure cam wg1/or gps one it has- 14mp 5xwide, 5xzoom pentax lens optio 10m/33ft , waterproof to 33ft brill underwater pix and film for hols, dustproof shockproof to 4.9ft , hdmi crushproof ,only down side is it can't make a brew also cold proof,its better than my adventure cam but wished i got the gps one so i could upload in real time to pc . when used in salt water just put it in a bucket of clean water allow to dry before opening the unit and get a seconed battery from maplins ,i also made a cheap mount and use it a a gun cam .

Have a look at the Fuji Finepix ; wide choice of models and good reviews.

I have an S4000, 30x s/wide, 14 megapixels, had it for a couple of years no issues

I have the panasonic DMC FT2 had it for two years or more. Took it on honeymoon diving, Victoria falls, so it took a beating and dunking. Dropped it from highseats, covered it in blood, its great to just wash it off. It rattles around the car all the time.

Its lasted really well, and I've had some really special photos from it.

Can't recommend it highly enough

I don't know about the Pentax Adventure cam, but I have a Pentax W90 which is also waterproof, shockproof, dust proof (so stalk proof, then), can do macro down to pin head size up to stitched together landscape pans, videos, etc etc. all on camera and in pretty good quality. Even comes with a karabiner strap to attach to your kit. For a camera not much bigger than a fag packet, I think it's the tits. I've had mine a few years, and I can't fault it. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on one.

Nikon Coolpix P500, bought one off ebay only used twice £100. It is an excellent bit of kit and gives you a whacking 36xzoom. Good colour definition, good at low light levels a good all rounder.
John.

Nikon Coolpix AW100, very durable, lasted 6months in a very dusty hot country, leopard crawling and hot footing it through terrible conditions, doing all the things I was doing it didn't suffer once. Still going strong now and fully waterproof, shock proof, GPS tagging etc etc

Flippin heck there's loads of good ones out there hadn't thought about waterproof/shockproof, etc, though. Would be handy when out in the field I guess!

yup same thing wg1 do's as yours i did have a cool pix 100 as i wished the gps tag ,1st time i used it underwater yup it sunk so no holiday pix and no moves or pix of a sailing hols of pip's , i took it back to currys wet in a bag swopped up to wg1 never looked back.

I don't know about the Pentax Adventure cam, but I have a Pentax W90 which is also waterproof, shockproof, dust proof (so stalk proof, then), can do macro down to pin head size up to stitched together landscape pans, videos, etc etc. all on camera and in pretty good quality. Even comes with a karabiner strap to attach to your kit. For a camera not much bigger than a fag packet, I think it's the tits. I've had mine a few years, and I can't fault it. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on one.

Back