Unity

CWMMAN3738

Following recent threads about the various field sports associations should they unite to become 1 with one voice and more power in the hope of getting somewhere?

Following recent threads about the various field sports associations should they unite to become 1 with one voice and more power in the hope of getting somewhere?

With only one voice where would people then go if they didn't like the sound of it?

Having a choice is always a good thing imo.

Yes, and I'd love to see it happen, but this argument is as old as the hills.

IMHO it hasn't happened because of the very different agendas - whether sporting (game shooting vs stalking vs hunting), regional (Scotland vs UK) or what I'd call core interest (research vs welfare vs gamekeeping vs target shooting vs sporting shooting).

Of course one Fieldsports organisation would also only need one Chief Exec, one support organisation, etc.;) which might not be to some people's tastes.

willie_gunn

CM3738 - some good topics recently :tiphat:

Question was posed previously and ( I think ) David at Basc gave quite a good response ( apologies if miscrediting here ) - as others note above, despite the common ties between us, there are enough differences to ensure that no one organisation is going to suit, let alone please, everyone. So much so that this is recognised by the organisations themselves.

But on topic/ areas where there is a commonality then they work through the likes of FACE.

That does make a great deal of sense.

Of course the flip side is that it gives us ALL the excuse to carry on with the petty spats, slaggings and infighting that seem to be almost as 'popular' as getting out and doing some actual shooting! ;)

The worry would be that the single organisation would become dominated by the "hound sports" crowd and so its funds and efforts diverted to that and that alone. As, indeed, was thought to be the case with the old BFSS.

Just as, some say, the worthy RSPCA has, supposedly, become dominated by those with an agenda against hunting and in the RSPB dominated by those, some claim, with an agenda against game shooting.

Not wishing to go off line, but the reason it was thought that the old BFSS was pro hunting only was because, the hunting community has been the only group to get off its axxe and attempt to defend its sport, I remember BASC slagging off the NGO for its national pigeon day (who as a badge for that day), the pistol ban ? Where we're all the shooters. No one organisation would not work, which is what the police and the anti,s like about us.

No. Competition is a good and healthy thing in any sector. Co-operation and a unified direction yes, but not just one organisation.

Not wishing to go off line, but the reason it was thought that the old BFSS was pro hunting only was because, the hunting community has been the only group to get off its axxe and attempt to defend its sport, I remember BASC slagging off the NGO for its national pigeon day (who as a badge for that day), the pistol ban ? Where we're all the shooters. No one organisation would not work, which is what the police and the anti,s like about us.

Even the NRA (UK version) were complicit in the handgun issues in the hope that the 'rest' would be left alone.

+1

And don't even get me started on how some fishermen would sell us all down the river.
I know its human nature to protect what is dear to you possibly at the expense of others but a united front would be very hard to stamp on as easily as small factions are

Brian: Excuse me. Are you the Judean People's Front?
Reg: Feck off! 'Judean People's Front'. We're the People's Front of Judea! 'Judean People's Front'.
Francis: Wonkers.

Edited before the watershed...
:D

+1,000000000000,their attitude was with there stuffy nose's stuck in the air we don't shot them so won't effect me !! :eek: it sucked then and it still do's now . :doh: but seem to remember thay were PDQ to held there hands out for the cash we raised when ukpsa practical pistol org ran the five day event with org's and shooters from all over the world came to shoot auto and wheel gun matches at the world shoot ten match. It was run at bisley in the 90's made them lots of extra cash .:-|
also never did see many nra or nsra target rifle clubs or shotgun cpsa banners at the anti pistol ban marches in london !
Most of them suffer from L.M.F when you need help:stir:

the meek shall get feck all what say you big nose on the hill :rofl:

Even the NRA (UK version) were complicit in the handgun issues in the hope that the 'rest' would be left alone.

Last edited:
No, they just need to co-operate with each other where there is a common interest. atb Tim

we cant even agree on a single set of firearms law or standards for applications and variations!
How the hell are we going to bring more confusion into an otherwise clusterf#ck of organisations?!

you are also assuming that Governments give a rats ass about us
Fisherman outnumber shooters by some margin. doesn't stop them having cross border issues with licensing!!

Back