Thread: 6.5 x 57 Any thoughts?

6.5 x 57 Any thoughts?

Having been away from shooting for a few years while developing business interests, I am now looking to re-equip myself.

I've previous experience of most suitable calibres as I was working professionally as a lowland stalker for a number of years. I mainly used the 'civilianised' wooden stocked version of the Mannlicher SSG, (the one with the heavy barrel and slotted ventilated fore-end), in .308 as an all rounder.

I have a lead on a well priced Sauer 90 Stutzen in 6.5 x 57 and although I've not personally used that calibre, on paper it seems to be very similar in performance to the 6.5 x 55 Swede - which I have shot in a Stutzen and found it to be well suited for that type of rifle.

I handload so working up a good round for the Stutzen would not be a problem and the 140gr spire point looks to be the one to go for. Any thoughts?

Orion, welcome to the site. Both the round and the rifle are absolute gems.

Only down side in the UK is that this 6.5x57 is strictly for handloaders. Factory ammo will have to be ordered, if you can get it at all.

i love the sweede should have had one 10 years sooner
    any calibre on a 57 case is a classic and usually well behaved and balanced.

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Its advantage over the "Swede" is that 6.5x57 is a non-military calibre.

Its disadvantage compared to the "Swede" is that you probably won't be able to get off the shelf ammunition in the UK.

It is however a much better cartridge IMHO. And well thought of in Germany. If you like the rifle then I'd get it and enjoy it.