ok before i start i know this will turn into a mess and i am sorry admin but i feel that all shooters should know this, all information in the post is fact and was used a uni paper i done on how fact and figures can be manipulted to suit anyones agenda.
first i will answer the question that people always ask and never get an answer or think they are right them i will go on and show the only proven case on an animal dying of lead posioning and will final show the point i am not touching with a barge pole ( a rough explaion of them but i am saying nothing).
Q: I have ate game shot with lead my whole life and i don't have lead poisoning?
A: this is because the human liver can process the lead in your systeme and it comes out in your urine.
Q: I have never found a ....... that has died of lead posioning?
A: thats Mr. Fox's job.
firstly how the lead gets in your systeme. When you swallow a piece of lead shot or a tiny fragment of lead the acid in your stomach, Most gastic acid in Hyrochloric and at body temp will dissolve a very small amount of lead. this is will be absorbed into your blood the same as man other base metals that your body needs.
ok then your liver does it job and i come out in your urine. this does take time but due to the fact that the human body can only dissolve very small amounts it will never get to a dangerous level. why this never come up at the docters, is that they very rarely/never check for heavy metals in your systeme.
now the only proven case on any animal dying of lead poisoning is the California Condor (Gymnogyps californianus) i will wait while you all google it.
you could all read the papers if you wished but i will give you it in nut shell. The Condor is a vulture it eat 100% carrion, if you have seen them in africa on the tv
you would have noticed that they start eating from the wound site. In animals shot this is where most of the lead fragment would be. also they do not chew just swallow large chunks and do this as fast as they can, before more turn up or it gets chased away.
the second important fact is that the stomach acid has a lower ph than a humans (in this case it means that it is better a dissolving things such as lead), when it is in the blood the Condor's liver is basicly unable to process the lead and it stays in the systeme and builds up and up to harmful levels.
the problem with its liver affects many other animals such as many large fish and aquic mammals, Orca and dolphins are found with high level of heavy metals and DDT and other harmful chems. in these case it is passed up the food chain.
so in short are you every going to die from eating game shot with lead. NO
Things i an not going to answer but will point out some facts.
Spent lead shot in the water causing lead in the water. depends on the acidty of the water and a million other things
chance of a duck eating spent lead shot from the bottom of pond and beinf poisoned. to many varibles but a ducks stomach acid is not that low a ph as a vulture but lower than a human
lead pipes. to many varibles from water acidty and how much you really drink from the tap.
thank you very much for your time any questions just ask and again i am sorry admin if this causes a major backlash