4x4 motors

rockingod

Hi Guys

Not really my scene (motors) but lookin for a 4 x 4 and want help from members.

Need a.............

Seriously good offroader (Carcass recovery fox/bunny lamping etc)

Economical on long journeys (Cairngorms from Wales 500+ miles)...Being from Ceredigion we're known as 'Cardi's ........Cardi's have to be able to buy from Scots and sell to Jews AND MAKE A PROFIT !)

6 gears (plus reverse !....don't be arses !)

Auto - Handy..... Not a race boy.....but not absolutely necessary

Cruise - (Arthritic right knee - needs serious resting on long journeys)

Reliable (got AA and RAC but I don't like to be caught out)

Capability for 4 adults plus a coupla dogs in the back (I hate dogs in the front - Sally the ESS farts really bad when she's eaten venison scraps) plus rifles and kit bags......plus the carcasses of course !

100,000 miles ish

10 yr old ish

Good nick...tidy body....Don't want to look like a Gypo (No disrespect to genuine 'travellers')

Any help would be mucho appreciated

Regs

Rockin

Not being that picky then for a 10 year old motor :lol:

Disco( biased I work on LR's )
Import Shogun (pajero) they come with everything on them and you will pick up an auto>

4x4 are a Marmite subject as everybody will have there preferences

GOOD LUCK

P.S
Go onto Brigtwells Auction site, on of the countries biggest 4x4 auctions and it's in Leominster so not too much of a trip for you.

Just a quicky- We are sending most of our PX's there at the moment because the price of second hand 4x4 has gone through the roof in the last couple of months, we are getting forecourt prices for them at auction with none of the hastle of putting them through the workshop.

jonathon

Toyota Landcruiser or Colorado. Comfort and reliability even in a 'mature' one, off-road they are only bested by short whel base landies if they are on decent tyres.

Disco

Go on buy a 10 year old Land Rover Discovery I dare you. I would not buy a 10 month old one.

Life will never be the same again.

Only old 4x4 worth tuppence on and off road is Japanese unless you have shifting spanners for fingers.

Pajero, shogun or Toyota LandCruiser, none of which are economical but will get you there and back.

I am looking at an Isuzu Rodeo Denver at the moment. I understand they are Thailands most used and reliable jungle off roader.

Ian

Just like the Unicorn, the perfect 4x4 doesn't exist, but if it did it would be like this, As hard as a Land rover, as soft inside as a Range rover, as quick as a Cayenne, as frugal as a Micra, Oh! and GREEN :lol: :lol: Steve.

I don't think the animal you describe exists, but I would say to go Japanese, I have a Mitsi Pajero almost fills all of you wants except the good mpg, although I did manage the best part of 32 mpg on a long run with it. Before that I had a jeep Grand Cherokee, comfy. good off road and mpg in the 30's.

You pays your money and you takes your chance in the second hand car game.

Good luck.

John

rockingod serious now enough **** takeing from me
i sold my 04 disco about 4 months ago nothing but trouble
allways going wrong
bought a ten year old isuzu and its bloody brilliant
stalking keepering towing a 3 ton trailer and the wife picks
up four days a week with it
it also drives wonderfull
i agree with briarquest the double cabs isuzu range will be my
next purchase when this one eventually dies

jonathon 76000 for a new ranger thats bloody scary :rolleyes:
pete .

If you aren't a Landy nut, don't get one. My 300tdi disco is great and i love it to bits BUT it's not exactly low maintenance-regular oil changes are vital, needs a new alternator tomorrow etc. Landys also rust for a past time. Hardly any electrics on a 300tdi-steer clear of disco 2s though. Very comfy, does over 30mpg on long runs, tows like nothing else on earth and is fantastic off road (although the tow bar is annoying), but a Japanese 4x4 will beat it hands down on reliability, be just as comfy and some will even keep up off the beaten track ;)

Roedinator said:
rockingod serious now enough **** takeing from me
i sold my 04 disco about 4 months ago nothing but trouble
allways going wrong
bought a ten year old isuzu and its bloody brilliant
stalking keepering towing a 3 ton trailer and the wife picks
up four days a week with it
it also drives wonderfull
i agree with briarquest the double cabs isuzu range will be my
next purchase when this one eventually dies

jonathon 76000 for a new ranger thats bloody scary :rolleyes:
pete .

Some peolpe don't bat an eye lid spending that much cash.
One customer we have has an 12month old TDV8 RR and it's only used as a shoot wagon, more like a bloody dog kenell.
Imagine a well loved 'keepers truck' that is used for feeding every day and has old corn growing in the back, you can see what it's like.
To make things better it has WHITE leather trim :eek: :eek:.
I have to put 2 seat covers on the seat to stop me getting dirty :lol: :lol:

Jonathon

The family has a largish dealership so we see quite a few 4x4's. Now i must admit that one of my first wagons was a landrover and i've had a series II, III, Defender 90 and even a rapier 127. However i would not give one room on my drive. Reliability is just bloody awful and whereas they used to be cheap to fix, average repair bills for discos in particular are eye watering.

Generally jap wagons are are safe bet but some of the newer flatbed type trucks have expensive faults - the series I and II Nissan Navara in particular suffer from a renault turbo which is prone to self destructing and will set you back £1900 to replace.

I would recommend you seriously look at an early VW Touareg. Nothing fancy, just the 2.5 diesel. The engine is actually derived from a marine engine, the torgue is unbelievable and you will not believe the acceleration. Coast along at 60ish and you'll be getting around 30mpg and it's every bit as capable as a range rover off-road.
I bought the wife a Touareg and haven't been able to get the keys back since - the only way i'll get it off her is to replace it with another. I myself drive an old Mitsubishi Pajero and also a Mitsubishi Outlander.

4x4

daihatsu fourtrak.absolutely bulletproof engines good gearbox 34mpg on a good run and great offroad ive had them for 8years and my old l reg never had a single oil leak in that time and my r reg one is just the same.im a defender man aswell but its only on really tough offroad work that it beats the daihatsu.body rust the only problem with it.sorry folks but i wouldnt touch a pick up especially if you realy do go off road,if your way out on a highland hill at night lamping you want to know you can get back home in the vehicle rather than walking back to find a tractor to pull you out,3rd choice would be an isuzu trooper.

Now then!, Did someone say 79K's was a bit salty for a Range Rover?, Well check out the Telegraph's article on the Overfinch company's latest, 139K's of sheer :eek: :eek: Holland & Holland gun cabinet, leather that usually only makes it into private jets etc;

Here's a good one!

I'm looking for a no frills 4x4 just to be used for bimbling around shooting grounds with kit, dog and (hopefully!) some carcases etc. Not looking to do the tarzan off-road gig and trying to be a bit discreet.

As it won't be used for any other purpose, I'm gravitating towards an ex local authority or utlities Renaualt Kangoo 4X4 van. Prices look good and there are some low mileage examples out there with full service histories - some even have aflashing light on the roof! Ticks the other boxes as well - 1.6 diesel, side and rear loading doors, bukhead and long enough to take my deer tray/plaster's bath.

Anyone had practical experience of running or using one?

Rockin, as a fellow Cardi i know where your coming from!

Do youi know anywhere in porridgeland that you can leave a wagon parked for free/cheap?

If so I would recommend getting a cheap but reliable old 4x4 nail of whatever flavour takes your fancy and leave it there, use a normal sensible car for the big miles.

Will probably work out a lot cheaper in the long run (and possibly the short run too)

The list of wants you put up just don't exist IMO

Back