Thread civility

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Below is a copy of a reply I posted on another tread but I feel it is relevant to all, so I thought I would repost it,

I really am amazed, but after my years on here I have no right to be, somebody gives the best evaluation of something that they can and what thanks do they get, none at all in fact they get a kicking. At the first sign of anything that causes concern out comes the 'you should have done it this way........' brigade and point out all that they conceive as being wrong. Now don't get me wrong having a differing point of view and expressing it can only be good for healthy debate and discussion and is welcome, but what is not welcome is the belligerent and unpleasant way of expressing these varying points of view. It is not difficult to be civil when answering the threads but it would appear that people have to adopt a superior attitude and at best be condescending and at worse downright rude.

I'm getting really fed up with it now, we are always getting complaints from people about the aggressive attitude being displayed by some, and how this attitude stifles healthy pleasant constructive debate and more importantly stops people from posting on and joining the site. So I would ask people to consider what they type and the manner in which their response may well be received, surely civility and good manners are not beyond everyone's reach.

For those amongst the membership that have trouble understanding that let me rephrase in a more direct manner that seems to be favoured by some. If you can't sort yourselves out then I will do it for you and you will an ex-member of this site.

John

Fair enough I think manners maketh man and cost nothing .as for superior behaviour you will never stop that I'm afraid .
the site on the whole is a very good tool for the modern stalker to access the world of stalking and I've met some great members some becoming great friends .
thanks SD
​norma

Made too many mates on here to name them.

Constantly stay at their houses as they do mine.

Im guilty of taking a rise but on the whole the SD site remains something all the owners should be very proud of.

With its owners and members having contributed nearly 2k to The British Heart Foundation in a matter of days they too should also be proud

Terry

Below is a copy of a reply I posted on another tread but I feel it is relevant to all, so I thought I would repost it,

I really am amazed, but after my years on here I have no right to be, somebody gives the best evaluation of something that they can and what thanks do they get, none at all in fact they get a kicking. At the first sign of anything that causes concern out comes the 'you should have done it this way........' brigade and point out all that they conceive as being wrong. Now don't get me wrong having a differing point of view and expressing it can only be good for healthy debate and discussion and is welcome, but what is not welcome is the belligerent and unpleasant way of expressing these varying points of view. It is not difficult to be civil when answering the threads but it would appear that people have to adopt a superior attitude and at best be condescending and at worse downright rude.

I'm getting really fed up with it now, we are always getting complaints from people about the aggressive attitude being displayed by some, and how this attitude stifles healthy pleasant constructive debate and more importantly stops people from posting on and joining the site. So I would ask people to consider what they type and the manner in which their response may well be received, surely civility and good manners are not beyond everyone's reach.

For those amongst the membership that have trouble understanding that let me rephrase in a more direct manner that seems to be favoured by some. If you can't sort yourselves out then I will do it for you and you will an ex-member of this site.

John

+1 ... here here !

I've been encouraged by the intelligent and friendly content on this forum and am gladly leaving behind a shooting forum elsewhere where blind criticism and trivial comment are the norm ; no one needs the post count professional attempting to give piggy back rides to everyone he disagrees with.

Well said, John and glad to see it.

Furry muff John ;)
You will always get heated discussions about certain subjects but as has been said manners cost nothing.
​It may put new posters off from sharing their knowledge and experience too if they feel they will be shouted down by established posters

I moderate on another non shooting related forum and the egos and arrogance of keyboard warriors with self perceived of superiority are the downfall of many once civil, friendly and welcoming forums. After a period of time a certain 'clique' develops between groups of members and anyone who does something different or has a different point of view about something are generally ridiculed and made to feel bloody stupid.
There is nothing worse than being a new comer or being inexperienced at something, joining a forum to learn and feeling like you're stood naked in the middle of a lion's den.

In an effort to address this I posted the following which would work just as well on most forums.

Dear All,
Please can I take this opportunity to remind everyone that whilst you are participating on this forum to conduct yourselves in a manner which is understanding and tolerant to all other members. We all come from different walks of life, have different educations and backgrounds. There is no 'standard' when it comes to individuals and therefore everyone should be and will be treated with equal consideration and respect. Anyone found to be treating others with a lack of respect and understanding will quickly find themselves unwelcome.
Acting with arrogance and superiority over other members is unacceptable. This forum is one of the most friendly places to discuss our hobby and that is down to the membership and the way in which we conduct ourselves.
There have been instances of late which are not in the spirit of the forum where members have been acting above their station and with an air of superiority, conceit and condescension towards others. This will not be allowed to continue. It is rude, intimidating and very uncomfortable to new members and fellow forum users.
As per the title of this thread, everyone here is equal no matter what their education standard is, their way of life, job, house etc. These things are not to brought into the forum as self perceived status symbols and will be left at the door when you log on.
Please take note of the above and if you think you might fit any of the adjectives I've mentioned please stop and think before you type.
Thank You.

I had a similar problem on a forum I moderate. 1 guy in particular joined and was reasonably quiet for a week or two then started, he was warned twice ignored the warning so I dropped the hammer on him and his cronies who has followed him on to the site. I heard from other members after the incident that the clown and his pals had wrecked another forum and most of the members had cleared off. As they say in Hot Fuzz "it's for the greater good"!

I agree with what you are saying JAYB ,but i have another question.
Why do you have a ranking system ,Regular poster, member, disinguished member etc ?
Surely in some cases this can cause people just to post for the sake of posting to make them look more qualified.On lots of occasions there are more guests looking at this site than members.I know some of these guys have been shooting deer for a very long time. They just look in to have a laugh at how some topics get completly out of hand with incorrrect info and then at the bitching that starts.

Gary

JAYB,

thankyou for posting that: one of the best experiences on any forum is when the tide of debate is flowing the wrong way and becoming unpleasantly pungent, and some brave soul steps in, says what should be said, and turns things around. The general recognition of what is right is scarcely less heartening than the integrity of the person who shows the way. :tiphat:

Well said JAYB :thumb:

I was brought up quite strictly and manners were pretty much No1 in our house and this value is something we try to bring over to our two little girls.

Having been in customer facing/corporate world business for over 20yrs I feel good manners/civility have served me very well & in turn makes me respect others who pratice the same virtue.

Regards

Rob

Back