Thread: calling muntjac

calling muntjac

sitting up a highseat this morning trying for a fox using a fox call (ulimate fox call) and called in 5 muntjac. never had this much success when deliberatly targeting them with a deer call. Anyone else had this happen?
    Was interesting to observe the deer as I dont usually see a muntjac alive for more than a few seconds.

I've had a Roe Buck come running when squealing a fox (edge of Dartmoor) . I saw the fox and squealed using my hand, the fox came fast, out of the side of my vision I saw movement 20 yds away. And there was the buck. Wrong Calibre for the buck (3" 12guage with 42 oz BB) a sunny day about 3pm. Needless to say the fox's day ended and the buck sauntered off. Had the same happen in Worcs. and Stripey ran up. Anyone else seen that?

Hello Pete. Calling Muntjac is something of and enigma, which has intrigued me for years. What is an ultimate fox call and how were you using it ? I and many others on here use the Buttalo squeeze-bulb Roe call with varying success. I have called and shot numerous Muntjac over the last decade or so, but I have yet to discover how to call them consistently and whether particular conditions play a part. I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts and so would others I believe.

The ultimate fox call is a small plastic reed type call ,they cost around 12, I called 2 munties out of a small wood recently with it but they ignored the Buttalo !

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    The ultimate fox call is a small plastic reed type call ,they cost around 12, I called 2 munties out of a small wood recently with it but they ignored the Buttalo !
    Unicorn71, that's very interesting. Can you tell us more regarding the method you used and the weather conditions/anything else that you think could have influenced the result ?

my thoughts based on limited experience of sitting without calling, targeting munties with buttolo, targeting foxes with fox call and targeting munties with fox call.

I have had success with the buttolo although inconsistently regarding responce and I fell the results have been better on a warm still day.

The fox caller CritR Call Wolfer's Harp - you can get them everywhere the game fairs do them for a fiver. worked on a few different occasions when used to call foxes in a rabbit in distress pattern. i have also had success with this Johnny Stewart Crit'r Distress Predator Call used in a rebbit distress pattern or specificaly for deer in a pheep pheep pheep pattern. These calls are higher in pitch to the buttolo (or rather can be made to call in a higher pitch by either biting down on the first one or squeezing the reed with the second one.

After the rut I am going to try to target munties with the fox call in a more "traditional" deer call fashion. I will try all the calls in the rut but had most success last year with the nordic roe.

I think it may end up a bit like fly fishing
    "whats the best fly?"
    "what else is good?"
    "dunno always fish the GRHE"

I do think though that the buttolo pitch is a little lower than the other calls. I know you can adjut the buttolo but not enough to be as high as the reed calls.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Calling Muntjac is fascinating if not sometimes frustrating. I never seem to tire of trying as the outcome is so unpredictable. I look forward to your future posts on this subject. Best regards.

i was out with Stone when this video was shot, A muntie came to the fox caller call.