buying expensive items on forums

I've not followed your post or checked on who you are buying from, but why not ask around some of the long time members? Someone is bound to know the vendor, and will either vouch for them being decent and honourable or otherwise.

Best regards, and good luck,

​Mark

Right now my offer for a scope in the classifieds section has been accepted for £300, Im sure the seller is a great bloke and all but has requested a bank transfer.

Tricky situation to be in :(

I've not followed your post or checked on who you are buying from, but why not ask around some of the long time members? Someone is bound to know the vendor, and will either vouch for them being decent and honourable or otherwise.

Best regards, and good luck,

​Mark

good advice mark Hope you and your good lady are well. Regards pete

Right now my offer for a scope in the classifieds section has been accepted for £300, Im sure the seller is a great bloke and all but has requested a bank transfer.

Tricky situation to be in :(

Why not pay to his details, but use a Credit card to fund it ?
You should be able to do this useing your credit card on-line account, or maybe just go into a bank and ask them to do it against your card.

Neil. :)

i throught his scope price was spot on, was a little tempted myself, i spoke via msg, and all the replies seem fine, quick and very helpfull i had no reason to doubt the seller and if by chance its still for sale at the end of the month (payday lol) i might well pm him again
atb
simon

Resurrecting an old thread alert.

I had a weird one. I was corresponding for days about a rifle I was interested in on another forum and agreed a good price and was about to pay via PayPal gift which I do regularly.

As a precaution I asked for his details so I knew where the money was going and not just into cyber space. Even the serial no of the rifle would've done so there is some traceability but the seller wouldn't give it me.

Needless to to say I pulled out of the sale which is a shame but it's better to have some comeback when using forum sales if it isn't an established poster.

In the past when I have sold expensive items and the buyer has rightfully been cautious to part with their well earned cash. With a face to face being out of the question as I live in North of Scotland and the buyers have been in the south of England. They have contact via PM previous buyers and asked them if there was any issues with previous transactions to give them piece of mind.

There has to be a certain amount of trust,I bought a scope off BK,we agreed to pay in 2 halves,all sent to bks account,sure enough scope arrived,in top notch condition,love this scope wouldnt part with it.
But I have in the past been took for a ride and lost out,at the end of the day,you can only do so much to cover ones a**se.
Tod.

Hi guys, now I am currently looking around for a better scope for my 243 and was just wondering what kind of precautions are reasonable to take when shelling out several hundred quid to someone on an internet forum ?I see quite a few 'paypal as gift only' or 'bank transfer only' and when large sums are considered can't help but be skeptical Cheers - Lloyd

I have just purchased an item on sale in the classifieds for around £200.00. The money was bank transferred from myself very late Thursday night - 11pm... And the item arrived RMSD on Sat am...... I was not even sure the money had time to clear the vendors account, but he has trusted me off the back of the SD pm's we have sent between us. There are a lot of very good people around, but sadly the occasional idiot spoils it for others.

Hope it all works out for you, but I have purchased quite a bit from here, and the transactions have all been excellent.

Neil.

as ive said before if in doubt ask i for one wouldnt bother if someone asked around to see if i was legit ,if theres nowt to hide then theres no bother it works both ways and benifits everyone ,anyway dont deal with me im crackers :rofl:

Wellyou could always ask for their FAC no or alike or copy, but agree v difficult.

Have had one experience when a seller didn't describe the artricle correctly but on others who a very regular users then no issues at all and have done bank transfers.

D

Wellyou could always ask for their FAC no or alike or copy, but agree v difficult.

Have had one experience when a seller didn't describe the artricle correctly but on others who a very regular users then no issues at all and have done bank transfers.

D

In my case I asked for just their name and address but they wouldnt give it for some reason.

So no sale

D
It is sensible to be cautious when buying an item from a person whom is not know and the item is sight unseen.
I recently had a very satisfactory transaction with one of our members, whom I have never met. After agreeing a price, I provided my full contact details and the full contact details of my friend, who is an RFD. The vendor provided his full contact details to me.
As we did not know each other, I proposed that I pay 60% of the price up front (bank transfer), that my friend would task TNT to collect the item from the vendor and that I would pay the balance on receipt of the item, in the condition as described.

So we both shared the 'risk', me by making the initial payment and the vendor by sending the item to my friend whilst I still owed him several hundred pounds.

The item arrived, in mint condition, exactly as described and I paid the balance by bank transfer, within four hours of it's arrival.

Because we were both genuine people, acting in good faith, it worked very well. However, I am sure that if either of us had been reluctant to provide checkable contact details, it would have been called off very quickly.

Back