Deer of a lifetime

Well folks, last weekend I boarded the SleazyJet flight from Geneva over to London Gatwick and headed to SikaMalc's place down in West Sussex to meet up with Pine Martin to chase some roe bucks.

The flight over was uneventful and the Swiss are very civilised and slick when it comes to checking in your firearm (no surprises there then).

Picked up the hire car and drove down to Malc's. Had a brew and a bit of a natter after Malc had dropped Tony off at a high seat, we the went and checked the zero on the rifle after being flown over. Headed over to the B&B, had a pub dinner and turned in for the 315 start.

We drove over to the ground and from the car park spied a roe in some scrub. We headed off on the necessary round-a-bout route to try and get onto it but it had cleared off. We waited on a wooded crest of a hill and a roe of some description crossed a corner of a field a looooong way away. No dice so we waited some more and what turned out to be a very small buck crossed back across the same corner of the field. Couldn't make a direct approach so waited for him to go in then headed on a circular route to get round the wind. Dropped down to where we hoped he would come out but no dice. Called it quits and headed back as it turned out at the right time.

Evening stalk was a high seat session and for this one Pine Martin was joining the party. The ladies came out and even had one old roe doe couched and intermittently browsing behind the seat for best part of 90mins but the gentlemen were conspicuous by their absence. Oh well, not a completely wasted evening, had the pleasure of meeting Joe.

Following morning came around and I was out with Malc again. Saw quite a few does then coming through a hedge... A BUCK! And what a buck it was too. A quick discussion about various things and we went on to stalk in, Malc reckoning "certain silver, if he's got the width at the base, he'll go gold". This buck was incredible. At ~300m we could see it was a good buck. We went back through the hedge, looped around, back through the hedge line at the top of the field. Buck was 80 m away. Sticks went up. I had to reposition but put the cross hairs on him. He was aware of us but not sure of the nature of the threat we posed. At this point I started having doubts. There he stood, iridescent russet, in excellent condition, good weight and with an awesome hat rack. At this point I started to have my doubts... Thought ran through my head "Never mind, safety off, let's go" safety came off, cross hairs hovering just nicely on his flank. He was framed beautifully in the scope, not much else around, just him, the cross hairs and this little dot. I took one breath to make sure all was steady and breathed out. Nothing. I couldn't shoot him, he was too good. Put the safety back on, mumbled something to Malc along the lines of "Can't, don't wanna, he's too good" we watched for not much longer before off he went. I followed Malc back through the hedge, maybe not physically shaking but certainly shaken. "No problem, lets go find something smaller" we set off and stalked through some fields encountering a doe that just kept turning broadside about 40m out from us in the hedgeline. Anyway, a little further on we watched an intersection of hedges and a doe with 2 gorgeous fawns still dappled came towards us down the edge of the field to about 50m. We saw one buck in the field beyond moving at some speed but didn't catch up with him and that was that.

So, an excellent but frustrating weekend but proof that it isn't just about shooting something. I let quite possibly the best deer I am ever likely to put my cross-hairs on walk. And I don't regret it a bit.

ATB,

Scrummy
(PS the trip home was eventful but I shall put another thread up about that)

Well done. Shows you are a proper hunter and conservationist. If it was that good, let it allow its genes to go a bit further. Stalkers and hunters understand about the beauty of the creatures we hunt, even if the opposition would like to picture us all as cold blooded killers. Just shows that we are much better than the opposition think.

David.

As always Mike a pleasure stalking with you, hope the trip back home was not to troublesome.

Pleasure stalking with you too! Amazing what a difference a drop in the wind on Sunday morning did for us huh? Still, nice to see plenty of deer if not of the right sex. The Lynx effect strikes again! Looking forward to the next time mate, will have to get the diaries out...

Last edited:
I enjoyed your write-up and I am impressed you chose to do what felt right to you as there is inevitable pressure when you are out on your last stalk of the weekend having not connected and additionally from being out with a guide, however relaxed they may be.
Neal

I enjoyed your write-up and I am impressed you chose to do what felt right to you as there is inevitable pressure when you are out on your last stalk of the weekend having not connected and additionally from being out with a guide, however relaxed they may be.
Neal

Cheers Neal, was an easy choice in the end really.

ATB,

Scrummy

Cheers Neal, was an easy choice in the end really.

ATB,

Scrummy

Congratulations on your restraint, although admittedly, that would have been an expensive freezer full of venison! By the way, that rifle of yours is very nice indeed. Perhaps a little too clean still, but still, good choice. So what did Easyjet or the BAA put you through on the way back then? I take they didn't like your rifle as much as I did.

Congratulations on your restraint, although admittedly, that would have been an expensive freezer full of venison! By the way, that rifle of yours is very nice indeed. Perhaps a little too clean still, but still, good choice. So what did Easyjet or the BAA put you through on the way back then? I take they didn't like your rifle as much as I did.

PM, thanks for reminding me to put that thread up. I liked your little stutzen, first I've ever handled, and pointed very nicely.

Scrummy

Well done you, not many would admit to doing what you did. I will save Malcolm from having to restock anyway :D

John

Well done you, not many would admit to doing what you did. I will save Malcolm from having to restock anyway :D

John

It wouldn't make much difference to him. When no-one's around he just glues old antlers onto does' heads anyway. Most clients can't tell the difference.

[Legal disclaimer: the previous flippant statement was for entertainment purposes only and is therefore hopefully not libellous. Malc's roe deer are all certified 100% genuine organic Sussex roe with no additives or cosmetic enhancements].

Nicely done and well written up. I understand your feelings as I had the same on an Imperial in Scotland last year. It seems a waste to take them out when they aren't good eating and have the chance to spread those fine genes.

I'm sure the motivation to turn this buck down was for the most sound and commendable reason but I'd be fibbing if I didn't observe there is an element of this that brings back the uncomfortable memory of my first roe buck stalking with FCS in the early 80's. This being of a time when they still wanted Clients to shoot medal quality heads at every opportunity and l simply wanted to cull anything with antlers a twenty-one year old could afford. Which wasn't much I can assure you!

In short there can surely be nothing more unpalatable and off putting than having an impromptu discussion mid stalk about the scoring and attendant cost of a beast's head. Can there?

Its why, I like to think, FCS scrapped "trophy fees" and ensured that never again were Client and/or Ranger subject to such attendant embarrassment and distraction.

K

Last edited:
I'm sure the motivation to turn this buck down was for the most sound and commendable reason but I'd be fibbing if I didn't observe there is an element of this that brings back the uncomfortable memory of my first roe buck stalking with FCS in the early 80's. This being of a time when they still wanted Clients to shoot medal quality heads at every opportunity and l simply wanted to cull anything with antlers a twenty-one year old could afford. Which wasn't much I can assure you!

In short there can surely be nothing more unpalatable and off putting than having an impromptu discussion mid stalk about the scoring and attendant cost of a beast's head. Can there?

Its why, I like to think, FCS scrapped "trophy fees" and ensured that never again were Client and/or Ranger subject to such attendant embarrassment and distraction.

K

Perhaps its me but I sense a certain dislike if I may call it that :confused: Stalking is an open ended world, one never knows what may turn up and Mike is a good client and I also count him as a friend. There was nothing unpalatable about anything that went on during the discussion, the deer was identified as a medal head by myself and I gave Mike the opportunity to take it as he is a good client/friend, at I will say a reduced rate. Mike declined the offer at the last minute and we moved on. You mention scoring, well how else would one do it in the field if you come across a medal buck? please enlighten me!! It would seem you have a vast knowledge of taking clients out and what may occur during a stalk?

ATB

Sikamalc you are quite right, medal heads don't grow on trees and their value cannot be ignored. From a personal perspective, if value can be ignored ( a very big ask as I have guided clients into some very expensive bucks ) then I have less problem with taking a real trophy ie a buck that is a. old enough and b. big enough than I do with the shooting of young 3 year old bucks which have not fulfilled their potential, good or bad.

Money really is a b45tard isnt it....but only if you havent any....anyone out with a professional stalker coming on a potential medal head would be most likely very upset at being presented with the cost of that beast AFTER the shot.
Ive been very fortunate to have friends that have provided stalking on either a swap or just being a pal basis and to have shot some quality deer.

Perhaps its me but I sense a certain dislike if I may call it that :confused: Stalking is an open ended world, one never knows what may turn up and Mike is a good client and I also count him as a friend. There was nothing unpalatable about anything that went on during the discussion, the deer was identified as a medal head by myself and I gave Mike the opportunity to take it as he is a good client/friend, at I will say a reduced rate. Mike declined the offer at the last minute and we moved on. You mention scoring, well how else would one do it in the field if you come across a medal buck? please enlighten me!! It would seem you have a vast knowledge of taking clients out and what may occur during a stalk?

ATB

Firstly I would confirm it must be a case of you imagining my "dislike" (for your particular operation) but then as a Site Administrator of 4000+ posts I can well imagine why you would be sensitive to much observation as many posts do have unhelpful and belligerent agendas! Mine however do not.

I simply recount my experience of being subject to a trophy fee scenario and remain of the belief that taking to the hill with apprehension born of a certain uncertainty can only subtract from the total experience that one seeks to immerse. For an example, imagine a remake of the scene in the Deer Hunter where "One Shot" is chasing over mist-shrouded mountain peaks and instead of neatly dropping a beast with an off hand shot he suddenly hunkers down with his Guide for a chat about points and the $. Would not that 'moment' loose something?

While I clearly accept medal heads continue to have a significant Market value and in consequence will comprise a key component of your business strategy, it must surely be possible for both client and outfitter to agree in advance of an outing if medal heads are even on the card?

I've certainly never had such a mid stalk discussion when out after Sussex fallow as the deal is I will only shoot what RW tells me too. (Unless its a white buck of course!!)

In summery what is a forum such as this for if threads like this may not both solicit and tolerate considered observation of a differing view?

K
Ps: Most happy to book an outing with you for the 2014 rut if you'll have me and as proof I've nothing against you?

Last edited:
Great write up and perfect decision. I hope he lives into old age and his end is swift when his time comes. :thumb:

Back