A first for me.

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
Went out this morning mainly to deliver the last of the venison (I had butchered 3 deer and they were in the chiller running out of time, needed to be eaten or frozen). The meat was destined to go to the place I'd shot the possible gold a couple of weeks ago. My plan was to go early and take the rifle with me, go have a look round and maybe get a fox or another buck.
Getting there before first light I slipped into the ambush point just as daybreak was making an apperance. What a lovely time of day at a lovely time of year (my fravorite I think).
I had been there about half an hour when I heard a deer bark some ways off, almot immedatly a doe walked onto the ride and looked in the direction of the bark, she then looked over her shoulder. MMM .. I though another one in there, putting my bins down I readied myself expecting a follower to apear.
No it was a youngish buck in full winter peledge.
Cross hairs on his heart I squeesed a shot off, The sako barked out and sent the 156gr sp labouring on its way.(they are very slow and just deer legal but if I like I will handload some hot ones )
Not my usual load but been wanting to try them on deer for some time thought they might get through the knettles a bit better.(they shoot to same zero as my 139 factories so it was handy).
The bullet found its mark as the deer was in the open and not in the knettles
Slamming into the deer's chest it staggered once and fell into a heap dead.
Wow i thought have I got a .308 with me today I was very impressed to say the least.
The doe ran off immediatly and I watched the buck only for a minute as I could see he was very dead
The shot was about 80m off my sticks.
A few photos later I was on my way back to the farm house to deliver the meat and some very fresh liver.
Oh and when I picked the deer up to bring him off the ride I grabbed an antler and it came off in my hand a first for me he was about to cast
So if you have any big lads to take get em now they might not be wearing head gear soon

the buck

RIMG0029.jpg

close up of antler

RIMG0023.jpg

RIMG0021-1.jpg

and the carnage created by the 156gr sp.

RIMG0025-1.jpg

Awesome mate 8) Wish I was as lucky :) What rifle is that and what cal ?

Sako finlight is it ? 8)

Well done John.

Same thing happened to me on 11th September this year. I did an afternoon stalk at a quiet spot with a client and he shot a really old buck. After a few pictures he picked the buck up by an antler and it came clean off in his hands!
Still, makes it easier to clean the head off! Once it was glued back on you couldn't tell. :lol:
He shot one the following night and you could also see where the bone eating cells were at work around the pedicles.
The next week I saw 2 mature bucks both sporting a single antler.

Mark.

Happened to me once when I was sawing a Roe head shot 11th October, I'm afraid as it was an interesting malform I put a rod in and glued it back on. I now feel better having got it off my chest in the confessional!

Nice heart shot John
You say they are slow could you tell me what they are doing over a chronograph. Would not think they are deer legal for Scotland Prvi are normally a bit down on published speed. Then again its all about shot placement, speed is relative to the expantion rate of they bullet you use!!

Just interested because I shoot a 6.5x55 myself,home load due to being born in Gods own County "Watch tha pennies lad, an pennies look afta tha senzs" :D :D

dave 67 said:
Nice heart shot John
You say they are slow could you tell me what they are doing over a chronograph. Would not think they are deer legal for Scotland Prvi are normally a bit down on published speed. Then again its all about shot placement, speed is relative to the expantion rate of they bullet you use!!

Just interested because I shoot a 6.5x55 myself,home load due to being born in Gods own County "Watch tha pennies lad, an pennies look afta tha senzs" :D :D
I to home load not for savings as i use partitions ect.
the rifle had been used earlier in the week by a client and for insurance purposes they have to be on factory so knowing the heavies shot to same zero i wanted to try them. On memory i seem to recall 156gr at about 2300fps in my finlite

Back