Muntjac are Nails!

Monkey Spanker

I just skinned out a Muntjac doe that I shot earlier in the week. She was walking around normally and feeding along a grassy ride. I noticed she had a twisted foot which stuck out to one side when I inspected the hooves and could see that the leg had been broken just above the hoof and healed. She was a good weight and carrying a foetus of about 20cm nose to tail.
When skinned I couldn't believe what I found! Both front legs had been badly broken in several places but had all healed in relatively straight lines. They looked like classic RTA injuries which I can only assume happened at the same time. How many other species of deer could bounce back from that kind of trauma to lead a normal life?
They really are born survivors eh?
MS:)

Hi

I have had a Roe buck with a broken jaw in 2 places (presumed RTA/wing mirror?) recover and then walk into a rabbit snare so as to amputate (I kid not) just above the hoof on a front leg.
Good body weight and all else ok - no obvious reason for limping until he was culled. Only then was the hoof noted.
The jaw came out after a clean up of the skull - broken on the jawline and at the pivot point.....

Many years ago I have also observed yearling fawns with the lower front legs shot off recover with hard pads of skin and survive very well!

L

hi. I shot a fallow doe that had a very bad limp, when I got to her she had bone outside her hide on her foreleg yet it was completely heeled.
had I not shot her im sure she would have been around around with no probs for a long time!!
born survivors all deer are!!
Dan

I shot a roe buck a few years ago with a compound fracture and the weirdest pattern in the break but he was still getting around ok, amazing what they can endure!

Regards,
Gixer

Had a roe buck on my shoot with a broken and twisted back leg and on a number of occasions I had phone calls to tell me when it was about. Every time I got there it would be hobbling about but every time the gun came out off it flew, I would have bet on it against then Queens horse in the gold cup!

I had a member of staff that bruised a finger and had a week off ! It never ceases to amaze me just how tough our unions are :stir:

Now going for cover, early stalk Am

I shot one last year that was sheltering under a pheasant shelter. The keeper had told me that it was injured but still moved about. I stalked into it and it was exactly where she said it would be. It was couched down and looked ok but a quick head shot made certain. That one also had two broken legs but a front and a back on the same side. It had a belly full of corn from a nearby feeder. The back leg had fused and was useable again. The front leg was never going to recover:
View attachment 29639View attachment 29640
There was no infection and the deer was otherwise healthy. I suspect that if left, the foot would eventually fall off and the bone would wear down to be eventually covered by a fleshy pad? I've shot others with legs missing that had a black flesh covered stump. This one also had all of its ribs broken as well as both legs!:eek:
NAILS!!!
MS

There are always soldiers who are off sick with sand in their fanny's. They would be ashamed of themselves if they read this thread! (and that's just the male soldiers!)

Shot a smallish roe buck a few weeks ago, and it wasn't until I was butchering it that I realised it had ancient baling twine deeply embedded in the flesh of its neck. The skin and flesh had completely grown over it - must have been there for most of its life.

How on earth these animals survive is beyond me.

IMG_5979.jpgIMG_5980.jpgIMG_5981.PNGIMG_5982.jpg
I shot a roe buck a few years ago with a compound fracture and the weirdest pattern in the break but he was still getting around ok, amazing what they can endure!

Regards,
Gixer

Found the pic's - weird patern on the break which I haven't figured out to this day....it was walking ok though although a slight limp. (nothing like the limp I'd have with this sort of injury!!)

Looks like the jaws from a trap of some sort!! Not nice whatever it was!!
a few have said that but the teeth patern was not continuous (it wa on both sides but not on the centre - and had it been a trap that caught both sides the leg would not still be there as it would have had a cut on the back too....

I think it must just be the bone shape.

Regards,

Gixer

As with anything if the accident don't kill you, you still carry on living , your not going to give up life over a couple of broken legs and some busted ribs are you

this photo was posted on here a couple of years ago and shows a two legged Muntjac which was culled as it hobbled around. The front shoulder is obviously healing and the hind leg looks like a healed wound so i find no reason to doubt the story:

Attachments

• 5675337290_3c799d96e5_z.jpg
    5675337290_3c799d96e5_z.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 33
  • 5675337290_de42c0cf04_o.jpg
    5675337290_de42c0cf04_o.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I just skinned out a Muntjac doe that I shot earlier in the week. She was walking around normally and feeding along a grassy ride. I noticed she had a twisted foot which stuck out to one side when I inspected the hooves and could see that the leg had been broken just above the hoof and healed. She was a good weight and carrying a foetus of about 20cm nose to tail.
When skinned I couldn't believe what I found! Both front legs had been badly broken in several places but had all healed in relatively straight lines. They looked like classic RTA injuries which I can only assume happened at the same time. How many other species of deer could bounce back from that kind of trauma to lead a normal life?
They really are born survivors eh?
MS:)

Did you happen to take any photos?

​willie_gunn

Christ, that's pretty 'Hard Core'!:eek: Doesn't look like a very old animal either. How do they balance or get up I wonder? Amazing!
MS

No I didn't mate sadly.:doh: They would have been great for your collection too! I can send a full resolution of the one above though if you drop me an email address.
MS

Back