"Moderator Glare"

This subject may have been discussed before, but anyway it's a real stone in my shoe..... :mad:

when i have a lamp mounted on my rifle for foxing the bottom half of my scope vision is blurred by glare of the mod', also if i am out solo with a roof mounted lamp again too much glare!

I've tried the Bushwear Mod' cover but this makes no difference, apart from high lift scope mounts does anyone have an solution? (apart from get a lampin buddy....).

Thanks Rob

I cured this problem a long time back, it does look a bit cr***y but it really works, ideal for one man lamping, It's all down to the size of your front lens bell, find youself a piece of black plastic tubing say from a fishing rod transit tube or a map case fit over bell & cut to length so as to sit just on the mod, length will vary in relation to wether your'e using a big hand lamp or a scope mounted beam, a gentle application of insulation tape or elastic band will secure, this came about when not able to get the usual lamp man when a desperate fox situation arose. (just don't wave it around in full view it looks like an over barrel launcher) :lol: Steve.

That is a pain in the arse, but then solo lamping with a light on the scope is a pain at the best of time.

A sun shade for the scope and a neoprene mod cover might sort it.

Even without a mod, a blued barrel will give quite a bit of glare solo lamping.

At the risk of looking like a dick, you could try wrapping the mod and barrel with an army net scarf type thing, makes you feel like a proper sniper... :rolleyes:

My 'scope is mounted so low that anything around the mod fouls it. So...

I took a large black plastic flowerpot, cut the bottom out and found that it fits like a glove (or more accurately, a lampshade) around th'old Lightforce 170. The bottom front edge of the lampshade I warmed with a hot-air paintstripper and turned upwards so that it doesn't foul the 'scope and so that it does take a bit off the bottom of the beam, thereby reducing glare even further.

Solo lamping is a pain, and now I look like I'm doing it with some kind of comedy rifle. The glare is no longer a problem, though.

I might try to put up a picture later, so you can all have a laugh.

Dare not post a pic of mine ,even if I knew how, I'd have the shiny button brigade back round here again as it looks like a small recoilless job! :lol:

Most times glare happens because the magnification is to high if you have option turn it down to 6 or less if you have a light force lamp turn the front ring till the beam is a tight cone shape. The if you can try and get the light as far forward as you can. Hope it works. ;)

re'M'ington said:
Turn the scope mag down and then put a piece of insulation tape across the bottom of the scope until you just don't see the mod,you will find that the sight picture isn't effected at all...........'M'
Now why didn't I think of that one :confused: sounds like I can lose the launcher now :lol:

I use a long black sock on my .17hmr, poke a small hole in the end to go over muzzel then stretch it down barrel and hook down onto harris bipod,a bit of black insulation tape behind the mod to keep it down,works a treat.
ATB Neil

Thanks for the all the tips guys, reckon i'll try the plant pot over the lightforce trick....

I've got a fixed power scope so can't turn down the mag', over this weekend i've tried a cardboard kitchen role tube which goes exactly over the 6 x 42 S&B - this has made some difference - will persevere... :)

Dalula

Just to let you know (and others....) that the plant pot trick has worked fine! :D (also tried the black sock - this didn't work on a large mod...).

Also a well know shooting accesories Co state that their neoprene mod cover in camo or black eliminates lamp glare - beware folks it doesn't.....

Regards

Rob

Remington's method of Black insulation tape over bottom part of scope works - you can't see it in your view but it stops the glare, I know a lot of people who use this method and recently tried it myself after putting a Can on my .243 and having the same problem! :)

You could always rig the lamp under the rifle. Eliminates mod flare & helps reduce light flare back from mist, rain, muzzle smoke etc as the beam is not crossing your line of sight. It also makes the rifle bottom heavy instead of top heavy.

Ian

I just use butler creek flip up scope covers, the front cover when flipped up blocks the lower part of the lamp beam but allows enough light past to illuminate the area of the target.

I had that on my .223 - my instant cure was to heighten the mounts from low to medium - no more glare and it didn't really affect the height when sighting the rifle, just a couple of shots on paper to re zero and back in business.

Hope this of some help

Shot many foxies with a bit of insulating tape across bottom of bell end of sight almost up to halfway. Try it ,it only takes 2-3 npieces of tape, and doesn`t compromise sight picture

Dalula

Just to let you know (and others....) that the plant pot trick has worked fine! :D (also tried the black sock - this didn't work on a large mod...).

Also a well know shooting accesories Co state that their neoprene mod cover in camo or black eliminates lamp glare - beware folks it doesn't.....

Regards

Rob
No you are correct it does not,so now when lamping solo something I do 80% of the time I hold the lamp in my right hand and have the rifle on the sticks,(Im a left hooker) took a bit of getting used to but I managed a fox at 140 yds the other night,so Im quite happy doing it that way.

Back