.308 Variation advice please

Charlie is correct on renewal like i said in my earlier post, at least one piece of land must be cleared for your max caliber even if you have an open ticket.
Andrews land may have only been cleared up to 270 on TVP lincening authority so when he put variation in alarm bells are ringing for the feo.But like i said earlier i dont think it will be a problem 308/270 we know no theres difference.
​atb Lee

In Essex, any increase in the number of Firearms held, always requires a visit ( or so I told by my F.E.O. last week ), so perhaps you are worrying with out good reason.

Charlie is correct on renewal like i said in my earlier post, at least one piece of land must be cleared for your max caliber even if you have an open ticket.
Andrews land may have only been cleared up to 270 on TVP lincening authority so when he put variation in alarm bells are ringing for the feo.But like i said earlier i dont think it will be a problem 308/270 we know no theres difference.
​atb Lee

why would they need to clear land on an open ticket?
surely that means it is not "open"?

I have never had land cleared either when living in England or now in Scotland. I have also never had a visit just because I had a variation to put through

why would they need to clear land on an open ticket?
surely that means it is not "open"?

I have never had land cleared either when living in England or now in Scotland. I have also never had a visit just because I had a variation to put through

Its to do with your reason to posess, basically you need one piece of land with a requirement for a certain caliber to keep it. Using paid stalking does give you an exemption but otherwise I could put my garden down as just reason for a .243 because I could use it in there with an open ticket.
​this instance sounds ridiculous especially bearing in mind locally you don't get a visit when you move house or renew.

Its to do with your reason to posess, basically you need one piece of land with a requirement for a certain caliber to keep it. Using paid stalking does give you an exemption but otherwise I could put my garden down as just reason for a .243 because I could use it in there with an open ticket.
​this instance sounds ridiculous especially bearing in mind locally you don't get a visit when you move house or renew.

Are there deer in your garden?
that would be the only limitation in this context

In this case the guy has deer, has land, merely wants to change a calibre.
he doesn't have to prove his reason to possess a deer calibre, he already has one,
he doesn't need to prove his land has deer on it...he already did that

waste of time and money

It all comes down to firearms licensing departments need to work smarter not just harder. They need to expend their efforts where it is required and not waste time on needless visits and pondering trivial issues when the important decisions have already been made some time ago. Many organisations realised this years ago including some with equally important responsibilities for ensuring the safety of the public.

Chief Constable Marsh (Hampshire & ACPO) obviously realises this hence the emphasis on e-commerce where possible, after all the concept isn’t exactly new and was introduced by the government several years ago and all government and enforcement agencies have a clear directive to introduce it as soon as possible.

Ok, so had my meeting today.
On the plus side, its all going ahead once I get a couple of emails sent over to him (in fact, they're already sent).
On the minus side, whilst I didn't even try and argue, I can't believe what a pointless task he asked me to do.

Despite the fact I've shot 1000's of rounds through a variety of calibre's up to .243 in the 15 years I've had my FAC, I was required to get a friend with a .308 to send an email saying that I am safe and competent with that calibre !!!

I also needed a permission letter from the landowner in Scotland which is fair enough I suppose.

He was trying to imply that without that email from my friend, I would have to have a mentoring condition on the .308!!
I honestly think he's just had really bad induction training and that he doesn't quite 'get' it.

Could have been worse I suppose.

​Thanks for all your replies.

Just a bit of a personal impression, but they seem to be a lot jumpier about certain calibre's - possibly due to a 'walt' factor with military calibres attracting a certain following.

Glad you got sorted mate really does make you laugh some of the crap they come out with but at the time it can get you stressed.
I think some of the lincening authorities should maybe retrain some of there staff they really have not got a clue.
Atb Lee

It seems all police forces have different rules. I have just done a variation from .243 to .308. It was all sorted in just over a week, no visit necessary. Staffordshire Police really are very good.

It seems all police forces have different rules. I have just done a variation from .243 to .308. It was all sorted in just over a week, no visit necessary. Staffordshire Police really are very good.

I know, if I was still in Wilts it would have been a 20minute job and they'd have probably put a 50cal on there and a couple of .38 pistols for humane dispatch at the same time :rofl:

just over a week ago I put a variation in with Surrey, with the following text on the form because I figured that giving a good explanation might grease the wheels:

calibre reason where do you intend to use it

.308 RIFLE DEER AOLQ AND TARGET PAID STALKING AND ____ CLUB
.308 MODERATOR DEER AOLQ AND TARGET PAID STALKING AND ____ CLUB

I WISH TO EXCHANGE UNUSED SLOTS FOR A .22 RF AND .243 MODERATOR ON MY EXISTING CERTIFICATE TO PURCHASE A .308DEER RIFLE AND SOUND MODERATOR - MY .243 IS A WOODEN STUTZEN DESIGN AND NOT COMPATIBLE WITHMODERATOR, BUT IS A PERFECT WOODLAND STALKING RIFLE AND A RELATIVLEY RARE COLLECTORS ITEM - I WOULD LIKE TORETAIN THIS RIFLE AND PURCHASE A SECOND WEATHERPROOF RIFLE WITH MODERATOR AS STALKING LOCATIONS AREINCREASINGLY STATING THEY REQUIRE MODERATORS, AND IN A CALIBRE THAT I CAN ALSO USE FOR TARGET SHOOTING ATMY RIFLE CLUB AT LONGER RANGES

Got it back today with everything requested, including 500 rds possession, turned around in about ten days - no phone call or visit - fantastic service, well done Surrey.

​Time to break the credit card!

Last edited:
Well, finally back today. Got my .308, mod and 300/200 rounds all wrapped up in "Deer and Any Other Legal Quarry" :)

Ok, so not a quick turnaround but I was doing it with February stalking in mind so plenty soon enough :D

Well, 1 month later, 6 weeks since the application, I picked up my .308 today.
It is a fantastically tidy 6 month old Steyr Scout. Combined with the brand new 8x56 Habicht Swarovski (Identical to one i sold to my friend when buying NV a couple of months ago) I tracked down at Devizes, it should be an awesome package.

Zeroed it this afternoon. I bore sighted it at 25y, then took just one horizontal and one vertical adjustment and two more shots to hit 1" low at the same range.

Out to 100 and it was -1" so a quick click up saw me shaving the top of my 1" dot.

A quick group to check and all sorted :)

As per my other Steyrs, multiple weights shoot to the same 100y zero as both 150g Privi's and 123g Sako Gameheads went through the same spot at 100 so can use both.

Although obviously I will need to check carefully, its the same mag as the .243 so now have 4 identical magazines to use if required :)

The great Scout q/r swivels mean I only need one sling too!

E0209271_zpsf95f4f1e.jpg

what is this 'land you put forward' bit?

On renewal if you shoot over land (not paid stalks) even with an open ticket you need at least one piece of land put forward to show you have good reason to possess your firearms. If you have an open ticket the land doesn't need to be cleared as you can do that but.

Back