308 load help

Alan17hmr

image.jpgHello Guy's
Sounds a bit gay that but never mind
I'm trying to sort a 308 load out and have settled with 46.2 grains of Reloader 15, (max 49 grains)
COAL lenth of 2.8 inches, Hornady 3031 150 grain, Speer point
I forked out for the hornady OAL gauge set up only to find they jam in my rifle from magazine to chamber
Couldnt believe I'd taken my eye off the ball and was so absorbed in getting the COAL correct I fell for that old trick, smiled to my self didn't answer my wife's question about my rifle jamming and poured rest of my beer in the glass
Group size 15/16 inch 5 percent variance in velocity, 2764.8 Fps Average

Is it worth packin more powder in to go faster, is this suitable for Woodland Red Deer

Over to you now, be gentle

Alan

View attachment 29769hello guy's
sounds a bit gay that but never mind
i'm trying to sort a 308 load out and have settled with 46.2 grains of reloader 15, (max 49 grains)
coal lenth of 2.8 inches, hornady 3031 150 grain, speer point
i forked out for the hornady oal gauge set up only to find they jam in my rifle from magazine to chamber
couldnt believe i'd taken my eye off the ball and was so absorbed in getting the coal correct i fell for that old trick, smiled to my self didn't answer my wife's question about my rifle jamming and poured rest of my beer in the glass
group size 15/16 inch 5 percent variance in velocity, 2764.8 fps average

is it worth packin more powder in to go faster, is this suitable for woodland red deer

over to you now, be gentle

alan

the question is simply this?

Could the deer/fox tell the difference in fps????

If it groups well leave it you will only go back to your old load data

atb
jon

What's wrong with that?
That is apart from the jamming issue, just don't get all wrapped up in this rot about OAL issue there are more important things in life to worry about. Why not just load to a length that feeds and extracts properly and not go chasing that elusive 1/4" group that so many claim that they are getting. In fact unless I am judging it wrong your group size may actually be smaller than you think. Why a five shot group, do you have a heavy barrelled rifle?

Last edited:
As long as you can get into a 1 or 2" bull out of a cold barrel at 100yds, you're not going to have any problems. Even with a second shot that's 1" from there, you're still well into heart & lung territory...

Looking at what you have already, stop. It's not about grouping, it's about that first shot and where it goes. Everything after that becomes a blur - follow up shot, or 2nd deer - so adrenaline is likely to skew anything that you are achieving at the range

Just my opinion :)

the grouping isn't great as your getting vertical,as to the OAL tool you used this will only tell you the length you can load the bullet to the lands,it dosnt mean you have to load it that long,with the 308 being a short action and I presume its a factory rilfe you will find your chamber will be cut to accommodate all weights of bullet,best to seat to mag length to start and work your powder up in .2 gr until the group tightens up consistanly,you have quite a lot to go before you get anywhere near max load so you will find a sweet spot.
as to the FPS did you use a chrono ?? as if you didn't forget what you think it may be giving.
once you have found a nice consistant load that groups well at 100 yards try it at 200 yards as deer don't always stand at 100 you mat have to go a bit futher so its always best to check.

I load RL15 behind the same bullet. Length seemed to make sod all difference and almost every load I put behind it was accurate. I settled on a plinking load at 44.5 grains and a deer load dead on 49 grains. Both will shoot much better than I can. The load at 44.5 gives me around 2500fps and the 49 grain load gives me 3000fps and works well on deer but not as well as a Partition at 2700fps which is now my "go to" deer load. The Partition load is 46.3 grains of RL15 so it is giving me a fraction less velocity than you are seeing with a similar weight of powder. Given this I think velocity doesn't much matter as long as you are happy plus you can save on powder and bullets if you don't bother working up another load and in these days of shortages that leaves you more to shoot at deer.

your velocity is perfectly adequate.
If you want to improve accuracy you may wish to adjust COL in increments - loading shorter will bump your velocity as well so keep an eye on pressure signs.
Frankly I'd load to mag length and see what that does. :)

your velocity is perfectly adequate.
If you want to improve accuracy you may wish to adjust COL in increments - loading shorter will bump your velocity as well so keep an eye on pressure signs.
Frankly I'd load to mag length and see what that does. :)

good advice ! Load to mag length and see what it does (works for me )

I experimented down loading my .308 to around 2500 FPS (Book figure). I was so shocked at the additional drop even at 200 yards that I didn't pursue it any further. Can't remember the actual figure, but we're not talking about an inch or two, it was nearly off the target. Book figure says my hunting 150gr rounds go out around 2800 FPS. Target 155gr rounds should be just short of 3000FPS.

Somewhere around 44.5 grains of h4350 was the load advice I was given. I load mine 20 thou of the lans and seems to work. I can get 1/2" consistently on a good day. Ignore the flyers unless you are patient enought to hold position for 10 minutes whilst your barrel cools.

I've also had good results with a light crimp.

Yes anything under an inch is fine, but an inch at 100yds is 4" at 400yds; whereas 1/2 inch is 2" at 400yds... If you're like me and you want to be able to for no other reason than being obsessive then play away until you get it. Make sure you minimise every variable though - use sand bags to rest on with no wind on the range, have a decent scope and mounts that are tightly screwed down, and allow the barrel to cool properly. Also don't over or under clean! It's never like that whilst hunting but it's good for confidence to know you can do it!

Sorry if its an egg sucking lesson but there's my 2p's worth! :)

Consider your maximum range of shot within the woodland (OP's preferred type of stalking) - 100-150yds, possibly a tad further? Majority I guess will be a lot less than 100yds? Is anything better than what you have produced already going to make much difference? Sort out the jamming problem, get a consistent sub 1" group (ideal) then don't lose too much sleep about it. I am using 165gn Interlocks with 43gn Re-15 at 2560fps. This was the most accurate charge in the 43-45gn range. A sweet round grouping 3/4", very low recoil. Your group seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Back