Suzuki Vitara Starter problems

Cyres

My every reliable Vitara is playing up. Been going on for the last few months. When I try to start it often there is a pause and then the engine turns over and starts, other times there is a clicking sound and eventual start. Other times no responce at all but after switching off and re try engine starts. Starter motor has no problem turning over engine and battery is OK.

Is this a solenoid problem/poor electrical connection and if not what.?

It's a 2ltr V6 automatic.

Problem is worse when its been standing a while but there is no consistent pattern, sometimes it starts, sometimes clicks, other times nothing, but to date will start after repeated attempts.

Next silly question is where is the starter motor located for the life of me I can't find it, I assume it must be hiiden under the exhaust manifold.

Have tried to google problem no sensible solutions.

Regards

D

Sounds very much like a solenoid problem but I'm not 100% sure at that as I've never had a Suzuki Vitara.
Is there any sort of relay associated with the starter circuit?

silly suggestion time but your battery terminals are greased and providing a decent connection, I've only had similar when mine have worked slightly loose

silly suggestion time but your battery terminals are greased and providing a decent connection, I've only had similar when mine have worked slightly loose

That makes sense :thumb:
Had similar on my old Landrover after a good thump when off road

Suzuki sticky starter syndrone.... strip and clean the solenoid (it will be full of crud) spray with WD40 and clean up all the terminals right back to the battery with a wire brush.

I have a 2ltr TD Suzuki Grand vitara
Had a very similar problem at about 90k miles, turned out to be a sticky solenoid.
Removed the starter unit (not much room but got it out) and give it all a good clean. I took the battery out of the car and tested the starter before and after clean. Has worked fine ever since, now on about 120K
2teal

I did a big project on starters in Austria last year and had a lot to do with the manufacturer Prestolite and there is really not much to go wrong inside them just some commutator brushes and a reduction gearbox and the test cycle that they have to pass is way over what a normal car undergoes in its lifetime ie 50000 cycles.
Use normal starter jump cables and bypass the starter solenoid to the battery (make sure the cars gearbox is in neutral and handbrake is activated and if possible have the car 6 inches from a wall to stop any movement) then connect up the battery direct to the starter and it should turn over and start vehicle assuming ignition is on if so you have isolated the problem to the solenoid. Just replace it as its not worth the bother as they are all sealed units nowadays.
Martin

Many thanks for all the replies and PM.

I suspect solenoid as I went through some v deep floods durring the back end last year and suspect its got wet and cruddy.

Will update. Also any idea where its located?

D

Yes, but where in the hell is the starter, cause i can't find it. Is it a ramp job to locate it? I know it should be at the end of the thick cable from the battery but still no joy finding it.

(in my youth I used to rebuild Yamaha RD 250/350 engines as a pastime/neccessity so am slightly engine savy)

D

On the 2.0 TD the starter was on the near side of the engine and very difficult to get to.
If I remember correctly you need to put the vehicle up on ramps, remove all the under trays and then it was behind the front axle. very restricted for space and you cant even see it. You need a selection of sockets spanners and extensions to undo the bolts, sometimes 1/6 of a turn at a time, but once you have removed the bolts that go through into the bell housing the S Motor will just feed down so that you can then disconnect the cables.
As posted earlier the solenoid on mine was piggy backed on to the starter motor.
Good luck !
2teAL

Back