replacment for varget

toad

down to my last few grains of varget . i was wrong to think itl be ok . what are you guys using as a replacement

i have been using varget to load for 243 and 308 and dont want to buy two different powders.

Toad-I use Varget in 223,22-250,243 and 6.5x47 and as my supply was running low started to look for an alternative-I was saved by a fortuitous purchase of 2lb of Varget.My research indicated N 140 as an alternative with a similar burn rate but there is another candidate called TR140 again similar but approx half the price of Varget.Fox Firearms recently had this in stock so a call to Brian could well have you back in business.As usual start low etc.Regards Richard.

Toad-I use Varget in 223,22-250,243 and 6.5x47 and as my supply was running low started to look for an alternative-I was saved by a fortuitous purchase of 2lb of Varget.My research indicated N 140 as an alternative with a similar burn rate but there is another candidate called TR140 again similar but approx half the price of Varget.Fox Firearms recently had this in stock so a call to Brian could well have you back in business.As usual start low etc.Regards Richard.
diolch half price sounds very attractive

Vectan Tubal 3000 (mid-weight bullets...150grain in a 308) or Vectan Tubal 5000 (heavier bullets...168grain or so 308)

Ramshot BigGame

Viht N135 (mid-weight bullets...150grain in 308)

Reloader 15's ok as well...made in Sweden.

i run varget for ages and then had a problem with my new .243 it hated it to the piont some loads exploded in flight as i was running them to hot but at the same speck as my old styer, then i run some bullet types development work with crouch vally Dan and lastly pierred who put me on to n140 problem sorted now under .5 moa and back to how it used to be, thanks to both of them for the help :thumb: , i never used n140 for 6mm before and only used it in a 30cal. i now have swapped my last two tubs of varget for one n140 .
i am bringing down to the h4h a tub of spare n140 and a box 6mm 58 v- max to add to the bits for the table prizes .
i may be able get more of it , think it was £70 + for a kilo :tiphat:

Last edited:
i run varget for ages and then had a problem with my new .243 it hated it to the piont some loads exploded in flight as i was running them to hot but at the same speck as my old styer, then i run some bullet types development work with crouch vally Dan and lastly pierred who put me on to n140 problem sorted now under .5 moa and back to how it used to be, thanks to both of them for the help :thumb: , i never used n140 for 6mm before and only used it in a 30cal. i now have swapped my last two tubs of varget for one n140 .
i am bringing down to the h4h a tub of spare n140 and a box 6mm 58 v- max to add to the bits for the table prizes .
i may be able get more of it , think it was £70 + for a kilo :tiphat:

Are you saying the powder is at fault? ~Muir

no not at all , its just my bullet choice's and powder combo did't suit the rifle, i could not get the tight groups i wished, i know it would shoot 1moa all day long with my first choices and the fact that i had instock over 500 of 58v-max left, but i wish .5 or better out of my rifles and the only reasion for changing to n140 ,but on the up side two lads were able to get all my stock of varget so it has worked out ok for all, varget is fantastic powder but not in my .243 rpa. now i'm running n140 with a 85bthp bullet , and the 100 hornadys sp bullets are nr as damit are at the same poa so i can now use the 85gr for fox and with out any re- zero use the 100gr for deer just .5 low at 100yd , sometimes it just a change that is the best way to achieve the best results. i have 100 plus rounds left after given away in fund raising 400 inc the h4h so if any one wishes the pm me i'll bring them to the h4h shoot 7 july
:tiphat:

Last edited:
Just came across this thread, i have been told that my suply of varget is now not available, only 2 monthds ago i developed a round for my new bartlein 308 barrel . 1:12 twist light varmint 32" , i was using 155 bergar hybred heads with 46.9 gr of Varget, now i have to start all over again to develop another round, to avoid unnessary head scratching etc, can someone please tell me which powder to use, a powder that will be readily available, thanks in advance.

Back