Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what time is best?

what time is best?

I am just in the final prosese of sorting my hunting trip to south Africa next year.
    we are going out to shot kudu, gemsbok, impala, blesbok, warthog, springbok, blue and black wildebeest, and possible zebra.
    now what I am needing to know is when is the best time of year to go.
    I would sooner here from guys who have been out, and there recommendations. and not those of the agent that is trying to sell a trip that suits his requirements of filling in spare weeks.
    we are going for two weeks in the east cape area.

Depends on your thoughts on the weather? Jan/Feb/Mar is hot. I prefer April/May when it can be hot but generally cooler.
    If you are trophy hunting anytime between April-October is good. If you are culling there will be females shot and they may well be pregnant towards the end of the year.
    I find most clients prefer April to June. If you need any further info let me know.

I just came back from the eastern cape last week. Weather was great, just right to go for a walk.
    We had daytime temperatures between 19 and 30 deg at Mayogi Safaris close to Kirkwood.

what was you out there to shoot?
    was thinking of mid to late april?

Mid to late April is my preferred time, nice and warm and good hunting. If you need any help let me know.

Hi. Great to see fellow members shooting with my outfitters Mayogi Safaris. We have visited twice in August chilly in the morning and evening but pleasant throughout the day, last year went in September again weather was nice, this year late October into November so hopefully even nicer. Whatever the weather you will have an amazing experience, if you need any assistance with outfitters, dos and do nots, feel free to emai me on Linda.mayogi@ Edi how was the wonderful Dirkie and Arno? Strangely he's just emailed me. Have a great trip. Regards Linda

Adrian darling..... That's the cousins! My guys are the outfitters that process all the meat for their cousins and other outfitters in the area. I have great respect for a number of local outfitters and have been fortunate to be introduced to them all, here, and in South Africa. All great people. Africa is just an incredible experience xxx

Hi AJFAB

Seems like you have recieved some good advice on here. During April/May it is rutting season and the male animals will be easier to shoot, but it may be a bit warm. June/July and august are generally good months to hunt with lower temperatures.

Good luck in finalizing your hunt.
    ​Best Regards

Gerrit jv Vuuren PH & Outfitter
    Bos en Dal Safaris- South Africa
    Home - Bos en Dal Safaris

I don't mind warm as long as the animals are about that's the main thing.
    I am taking my 30-06 but what would be the best load 180gr or bigger?