Work on the shoot

norma 308

What are the keepers or helpers upto on shoots at the moment .
i am making pen sections for partridge pens ,rides mown ,and a new phezy pen gate made .
three cover crops of late mix to go in tomorrow when it's dried out a bit more .
What u doing then guys ?
​Norma

had a walk round the pen last week with the keeper,
gave him permission to buy some wire and staples:eek:
he was going to bring them from home:doh:
work party next week should get everything ready for the birds coming.

I would normally still be doing a bit of trapping,a lot of snaring,shooting a lot of cocker rabbits and tending to any greys I'd hatched off under the bantams on the garden.

Partridge pens erected last week, pheasant pens extended and ready for 10,000 pheasants and 2,000 partridges.

I've had poults now for a fortnight and believe it or not, dogged the first lot back yesterday morning!
Otherwise, I'm getting pens ready for next week, got fifty acres of maize to spray, got one poxy shed to build for some late partridge chicks (aiming to release them after forage maize is cut), got feed rides to top, hoppers to line out ready for wheat, 75 new hoppers to build and a load of maintenance stuff. My Polaris needs warranty work doing, my tractor needs a spring clean and my feed trailer needs renovating (I refuse to bag up wheat so run it into a half ton trailer and then bucket it into the hoppers all with a spinner mounted on top ;) )

We're trying to work out how our drives will work wit the new wind turbines on the land... (Huge huge big **** if we hit any of them, inc. suspension of shooting for 25years.....).

My mate and his dad who've had the shooting rights for years reckon we will be OK.

Other than that normal stuff getting release pens ready and maintains the edge of the Duck pond for boat launching.

Yesterday sprayed the covers for weeds. Brought the larson traps in put a few more snares out. Checked the pheasant pens and started to put the electric wire around the pens. Our pheasant poults come in a couple of weeks.

Cleared some really dense & tangled patches of bramble & gorse, electric fence is up & tested, moved the water bowser so access is easier for towing out to fill at the farm.

Just got one small work party this weekend to cut the bushes & trees back on the access track & we're done.

Chris

Bitting, spraying round pens, building a new pen and a lot of lamping and sitting out over cut grass, spraying cover, stalking with the boss and family. Busy busy!

poults ariving next week electric fences sorted on all pens strimed around the pens repairing spring feeders. food arriving monday . and lots of panicing this is my first year .

Good luck with it Toad :thumb:
​Its not rocket science more common sense and there is usually someone you can ask if you need to

Yes just try and think like a pheasant which ain't hard they nearly want to die as much as a sheep does give me a partridge anyday !
​Norma

Back