Deer heads and gralloch

Fursty Ferret

As a new stalker i have the dilema of what to with the unwanted parts of the carcass.
I dont fancy digging a 1m deep hole everytime, and allthough gralloch could be taken care of by nature the heads and lower limbs need disposing of so i would rather everything went together.
Are members happy to share how they deal with this issue?
Regards
FF

Following best practice guidance at all times of course!
In reality, gralloch is normally disposed of away from footpaths etc in undergrowth and the same for heads etc, if an obliging fox earth, rabbit burrow etc happens to be located nearby then so much the better.......

Green waist opened away from water or public the rest comes home head and lower limbs go in wheelie bin after the deer has finished hanging.

as deerstalker/6pointer says open up the green away from water source and public ,legs i re use for tracking with the head ,it always amazes me how fast the gralloch gets eaten by fox,buzzard or broch, atb wayne

Ferrets i have plenty of.....and as ferrocious eaters they may be... there is no way they are going to get through the bone of a deer skull and limbs.
The edible bits are not a problem...dogs and ferrets will see any scraps dont get wasted....its partularly the head and limbs i was refering to.
I didnt want to leave anything on the ground that might get dragged into public view by fox or bager.

In a ditch usually. The bits I take home go in the bin or the compost heap - no different than a chicken carcass... unless it's sick in which case it gets burned with garden waste

The gralloch will usually be gone by the next morning after feeding the local Foxes/Badgers/Buzzards,and the heads may go to the dogs......
DSC_0058-1.jpg

or the local Wolf pack at my friends private zoo..........
a couple of the latest cubs
IMG_1847.jpg

In a ditch usually. The bits I take home go in the bin or the compost heap - no different than a chicken carcass... unless it's sick in which case it gets burned with garden waste

Is a ditch not considered a source or connection to a water system? The strip around fields is suppose to stop -aid pesticides from entering into ditches and then in to the water system especially in high in nitrate areas, so would it be best practice to dispose of Gralloch-Green, feet, Heads into ditches.

Last edited:
Is a ditch not considered a source or connection to a water system? The strip around fields is suppose to stop -aid pesticides from entering into ditches and then in to the water system especially in high in nitrate areas, so would it be best practice to dispose of Gralloch-Green, feet, Heads into ditches.

Not sure what you mean pal? They're dry ditches and foxes etc usually drag them off before they decompose. Valid point though - I wouldn't dump it in large water filled ditches, though I doubt it'd make a difference as worse things end up in ditches...?

Dogs love chewing on the legs, must admit never yet threw them the head in yet. Think the neighbours might object as looks a bit bad
But i do throw the whole carcuss into the kennel when i've boned the meat off, ribcage spine the lot. Doesn't last long

Just to add as i'm sure u and everyone else is well aware make sure bones are RAW and not cooked :thumb:

Thought there was a lot of posts recently saying load bearing bones(lower legs) should not be fed to dogs as they splinter into sharp pieces, and can crack molers in dogs. I stopped doing that as there were posts from proffessional vets and people whom had issues with thier dogs. I feed all the other non load bearing raw bones and my dog thrives on them. deerwarden.

Back