What has caused this damage?

daw

We were doing some repairs to release pens this morning when we found that several trees had been attacked in one wood and bark stripped from around their base to a height of about 10". Only beech trees had been damaged. I found one area had been stripped about 5 feet up the trunk on one tree (see photo).
I was with 1/2 dozen farmers with a wealth of knowledge but no-one was certain what animal had caused the damage or had seen it before.
Having done some research on the internet it would seem that squirrels were the culprits. Would anyone confirm or otherwise please?
Thanks DavidView attachment 29855
View attachment 29854View attachment 29853View attachment 29852

Until I saw the higher damage I would have said almost certainly rabbits or hares(possibly sheep if they had got into where the trees are) but with the higher damage the logical answer would point towards squirrels

A duckdoo

Surely not they only "Quack Quack" ! :D

Tree rat for sure.

squirrels_damage.jpg

Last edited:
I am prepared to be proved wrong but I would say the humble grey squirrel does far more damage to trees than our deer population.

its grey squirrels , they start at the bottom and follow the sap as it travels up the floem layer , and yes they do far more damage to trees than deer which is why I would like to see a national squirrel control week in febuary where anyone with any permition got out in the woods and poked out dreys

Makes sense trouble.
I could see a real backlash from the bunny huggers mind you,not that it would particularly bother me

Its a question of educating people , they need to be made aware of the damage grey squirrels do , not just to trees but by predating on song bird eggs and young , also by competing with hole nesters , they also do alot of damage to cerial crops prior to harvest as this is a lean time before the nut crop comes in , damage to houses and gardens in urban settings , this should all help convince the public but theres always those you wont turn . Squirrels are also good eating

I always ask the beaters who come roost shooting in febuary to shoot as many as they can aswell as trapping & shooting myself.

Its a question of educating people , they need to be made aware of the damage grey squirrels do , not just to trees but by predating on song bird eggs and young , also by competing with hole nesters , they also do alot of damage to cerial crops prior to harvest as this is a lean time before the nut crop comes in , damage to houses and gardens in urban settings , this should all help convince the public but theres always those you wont turn . Squirrels are also good eating

A b*gger to skin though

piece of cake mate , hold him by the root of the tail with his back to you , cut straight across so you end up with the tail on a flap of skin then put him on the floor and pinch the root of his tail under the toe of your boot , hold his back feet and pull straight up , comes off like a sock , then hook a finger under the bit on his belly and pull that straight up and thats the back end done , cut off his feet and head then gut him . Make sure you kill him first mind

Seen this damage plenty of times in our woods. Def the squirrel to blame for this. I used to take them out with the air rifle and then trhrow them in a pot with rabbit and make a casserole.

Back