I'll let you know....

RED-DOT

I have had three top end shotguns for sale on here for some time and i have just got home from a 70 mile "viewing" of my 28g EELL for the umpteenth time. The potential buyer loved the wee gun and for the umpteenth time he didn't place a deposit but promised to get back to me. Just got a text message saying he is doing some home improvements and has limited funds available. £20 in diesel again and two hours wasted.... For the umpteenth time!!

You'll be on a loss by the time that these go...! What hit would you take from a local RFD to sell for you? Must be getting close to the cost of fuel already.

Why aren't folk coming to you? We bought a tv from John Lewis recently, and if I'd phoned and asked them to bring it here to look at, the phone would've gone down.

Ask for a 5% deposit before you travel - that'll sort the properly interested from the tyre kickers

Good luck with the sales R-D

Thanks... I have been messed about purely by my own generosity. A few members on here have asked a hundred questions and pictures and seem keen then won't even answer my PM's. So i think i will do as others do and if you want to view then travel to me.

Why don't you stick then on guntrader? Surely you don't think a small forum of stalkers are going to purchase all 3 guns.

I echo the sentiments above. Why don't you insist on prospective purchasers coming to you?
No offence intended, but your guns certainly aren't priced to reflect the fact that it is a buyers market, either.

I had a L200 on here..

Exactly same thing, loads of questions, loads of promises on an original motor with history proving 36k miles from new.. Sold it privately

As others have said guntrader seems a reasonable suggestion, ive got my .308 on there as am after a 30-06

I know it doesn't help but I do think this is a classic example of the internet giving a false sense of both anonymity and reality to keenly 'interested' parties with the result a somewhat hastily beat retreat when faced with the reality of an in-the-flesh person and need to find funds for the coveted product in question.

Just my view and of absolutely zero help I acknowledge.

K

Yes. Thanks all for constructive replies. It is a buyers market but top quality equipment doesn't go for buttons.

I echo the sentiments above. Why don't you insist on prospective purchasers coming to you?
No offence intended, but your guns certainly aren't priced to reflect the fact that it is a buyers market, either.

What price do you suggest i aim for?

Put them on Guntrader. It is a buyers market, but the guns you have for sale are not common. Neither should you need to give them away in order to move them on. If there are serious buyers out there for them you'll find them through that site.

I had a Browning 425, Grade 5, twenty bore in mint condition. Not in the same league as yours, but not a cheap gun either. I only got one party interested in it, but it was what the chap wanted. He'd been looking for one for a while and he recognised the right gun at the right price when he saw it.

I'd suggest you give it a month on Guntrader. The right buyer won't mind travelling to see them either.

Best of luck with it.

Bob

What price do you suggest i aim for?

Well, you advertised what I presume to be the same 28 bore EELL on this forum for £3500 in December, £3600 in January and £3750 in June.
If it didn't sell at the lower price, I would suggest that either it is too expensive or your advert is not pitched at the correct audience.

Last edited:
Well, you advertised the same 28 bore EELL for £3500 in December, £3600 in January and £3750 in June.
If it didn't sell at the lower price, I would suggest that either it is too expensive or your advert is not pitched at the correct audience.

Puts a different angle on it...:lol:

Price change in line with the rise in price of a brand new gun and on advice from GMK. They said it was too cheap for its condition. GMK said a shop would offer it for £1,000 more. I am not being greedy as it is really a new gun with perfect wood.

Price change in line with the rise in price of a brand new gun and on advice from GMK. They said it was too cheap for its condition. GMK said a shop would offer it for £1,000 more. I am not being greedy as it is really a new gun with perfect wood.

I feel for you mate but the fact is they are not new guns, everyone takes a hit on new items, when buying a gun of that value a lot of people intend to own them for a very long time.

as said - I wouldn't be travelling to people with it - if they want it they will come and look for it - it could be viewed as being a little desperate and put people off.

​are you looking for something you could trade it for?

regards,
Gixer

Is this a sign of the times?

I mean are the guns falling into a price bracket that is out of the reach of the average working class shooter (who still holds a job) and perhaps below the price payed by folk with enough wealth to not worry about the current financial economy?

I say this based on a couple of things. A few years ago when the credit cruch first hit I asked the owner of a commercial shooting enterprise in my area if he was concerned about how it would effect his business. He said that the clients who came from all over the world to spend a lot of money on several days sport would not realistically worry about where their next £10,000 or so came from to allow their sport to continue, such was their personal wealth. But they are subsequently buying guns worth a considerable bit more...

At the other end of the ladder are those who may in the past when income was safe, have put away a few hundred quid here and there and aspired to owning guns like yours. maybe even make do with a cheaper lesser model for a year or two until the funds have accumulated to allow the purchase of a quality but affordable (just) shotgun that is a joy to own. Well, in realistic terms with uncertainty now all around about job and wage security, thoughts of such purchases go out the window and with it your potential market for selling them to. In other words I have no doubt if they were lesser models at under a grand they would probably still be in demand. Then you have the fantasists who are dreaming about still owning such an item but are fearful of that financial commitment, or just fearful of the other half!!!!

On another note I read somewhere about pricing structure on seconhand cars on garage forecourts. If a car didn't sell at a particular price the tactic initially was often to raise the price by a few hundred or even a couple of thousand pounds before reducing it as the customer can be put off by a product that appears too cheap based in the assumption that if something seams too good to be true.......

the result was that often it would generate interest as the car was selling for what its thought to be worth.

i don't know if that makes much sense or is correct, just repeating what I read.

Buyers market it may be but I wouldn't give something away for nothing.

As has been suggested already, I'm sure if you are in no rush to sell them, placing an advert on Gunstar, Guntrader and any other forum that has classifieds or even contacting a couple of well known guntraders who may have clients details who are looking for such a gun that is not common may help, and then its a case of sitting back and waiting. Perhaps even negotiate away from the commision scenario and just say 'I need this for the gun, and anything you get above that is yours' if they say they would sell at a grand more Thats a lot more than they would get on 10 or even 20%. Robin from Cluny Country Store told me at the Royal Highland Show that he has a list of buyers looking for lesser model 20b Beretta or Browning shotguns for example.

The only way that I can see you selling top end guns at the prices you want is by placing them with gunships like Sportarm or the Beretta shops in London, obviously they are going to want a decent commission but that's inevitable. Maybe an advert in The Field would work too?

Much as I love Berettas, until you get up to the SO sidelocks, they are all 68 series underneath the shiney wrapping and the prices are always going to be silly. Not for one minute saying that they are not lovely guns, and I would love to own one, but they are simply not worth what people expect for them either new or secondhand.

Touting them around the websites does look a little desperate and people are always going to kick your tyres I'm afraid.

I've been trying to sell a handmade English gun for less than half of what you are looking for and have had almost no interest. I suspect that times are hard for all but the filthy rich and they aren't going to buy stuff from peasants like us anyway!

Absolutely agree...

R-D, is there an RFD that you know well with a spot at CLA? You'll get a load of tyre kickers through, but you only need one of them to make that impulse purchase on the day - ok, technically 3 people as there are 3 guns, but you get my meaning...

Worth a thunk

Back