witnessing and permissions

Deanandrew64

When are either DMQ or BASC going to put a header on there literature for level 2 candidates that you dont have to give any AW permission to shoot on your land in order for them to witness your stalks?

i have had loads of people iasking about doing there level 2 asking if it was worthwhile, but most ask the question, i have not seen anything in writing anywere, so could'nt tell them whats right or wrong do you know?

I don't understand the question.
Are you saying that if I did a witnessed stalk I need or can get permission to stalk on the land I am witnessing on?
That would be great for the witness, would he then be allowed to stalk on his own after the witnessed stalk was finished.
AW 750

When are either DMQ or BASC going to put a header on there literature for level 2 candidates that you dont have to give any AW permission to shoot on your land in order for them to witness your stalks?

There is no need for an AW to carry a rifle to witness a stalk so why is there a need?:confused: In fact, in my experience it is frowned upon if they do. Even if a shot goes wrong, it is not up to the AW to sort it out. He is merely a witness. If you have been told by an AW that he needs permission to stalk with a rifle on your ground then you should report him to DMQ or BASC as it sounds like in this case?
MS

If you have been told by an AW that he needs permission to stalk with a rifle on your ground then you should report him to DMQ or BASC as it sounds like in this case?MS

Spoilsport Mike -there goes all my free stalking:D

As a result of the following posts I think I'd better clarify - I was joking based on the vague way the first post was worded.

Last edited:
have written to nick lane through dmq and to mary fishburne for some clarification on this matter as there is nothing about it in the level 2 notes or guidelines, have left my numbers and will see what replies they come up with, thanks for the replies most helpful :tiphat:

Equally not certain understood the proposition put forward.

But the AW is there purely to witness. The only circumstance where they would fire a shot I can come up with is if the candidate wounds an animal and then for some reason is incapable of delivering a follow-up.

No AW should be carrying a rifle whilst witnessing.

The matter of renumeration of AW's is left to individuals - I know this causes some angst, but is mandated by some of the European regulations under which the scheme operates. A bit vague I know, but never looked into matter beyond instruction from DMQ. Renumeration on a fair basis is one thing, but extending that to obtaining stalking could risk the appearance of bias on the AW - ie could be construed as a bribe.

No AW worth their salt will want to risk that.

If the implication is that an AW is seeking ongoing rights to shoot over a piece of ground - as part of witnessing a candidate then, as MS says, they should be reported.

To be honest, I've never encountered it, it has never once come up in conversation etc so never assumed it was a required note for the paperwork.

If it is an issue, then absolutely should be nipped in the bud. Outwith that, there is something of a mystery/ myth situation surrounding Part 2 and the list of clarifying notes could become lengthy! :D

Back