Thread: New/old hot spot hunting area

New/old hot spot hunting area

I have had a camera on a wallow in a gully for a few weeks and the result is some poor pictures of three different young sambar stags visiting at night only. I could tell of course that the wallow was being used but didn't know the age or quality until now. A few weeks ago I shifted the cameras to the adjacent ridge where I found a brand new half decent rub tree. After leaving that spot I continued to hunt the area and almost immediately was honked by a large hind which I had obviously missed and walked past. She presented an easy side on 200 metre shot but I didn't fire because she was on a ridge with blue sky right behind her.
    Now I have hunted this area on and off for 20 years with minimal success but all of a sudden it is red hot. Droppings, rubtrees, fresh browse and beds, all the things that point to a good sambar population.
    Last weekend I was back there and hunting the next gully/ridge system and got honked again by another hind I think, didn't see her, she was in some very thick scrub in a gully and had either already sneaked off or was not going to move. I think the former as I closed on the gully after a good bino scan and couldn't rouse her.
    The point of this little write up is that this area has just turned from a nice walk in the bush to a red hot hunt area. I have no idea why but I'll be back there in a week or two for some serious investigation and murderous intent.
    Left: Rub tree covered by a camera.
    Centre: One of the locals that plague hunters by following and announcing your presence.
    Right: Other rub trees in the immediate area
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2563.JPG   DSCF2567.JPG   DSCF2570.JPG  
    Don't hide from your mates in the bush!

Look forward to seeing the murderous intent photos! Samba sound like a very rewarding species to hunt when you connect, something I would love to do at some pint, one day.

Victoria Australia Sambar country.
    but I'll be back there in a week or two

What you need to do SHV is to hunt them a week or two the mob is a big chance to have moved to another area,strike while the iron is hot!
    Dont dither,take the shot!

As JG said... I could not help myself
    Would have to take a few Mental Health days off work and get amongst 'em while the action is on... lol
    Good luck with it!

Yeah I would John but I'm locked in to the MCG next weekend but come Monday I'll sneak in there again I reckon.

Good luck on the Samba....

Oh yes, I have to go there, one time in the future....!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

An update on the hotspot from this weekend. Retrieved the camera and found this bloke was visiting to check out the rest of the population. Not a world beater but a nice shape and evenness to his antlers. At least I know what I'm looking for now.
    John it's a 31/2 hour trip for me to get to this spot so I'll just have to work hard on the weekends.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0021 (2).JPG   IMAG0022 (2).JPG   IMAG0023 (2).JPG  

any chance of saving that one for me Grant.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Paul, as the crow flies it's not that far from Wonnongatta so I'm sure that there are plenty like him hanging about for you.

Victoria Australia Sambar country.
    Just saw the pics of that young stag today,he will grow into a good one if he can last at least another few years.He has great 'everything' going for him.
    Dont dither,take the shot!