Road Rage

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodkayak

I wish to post a warning to fellow FAC holders
I have just been through 6 months of hell and do not want anyone to go through the same experience as me.
I work as a GP and 6 months ago was driving home after a v busy day. It was quite foggy and this car started to tailgate me across the mountain single track road. He even made to overtake me. I had to flip the mirror as he was dazzling me. If I had pulled to a stop he would have crashed into the back of me and there was no room to pull over as the sides of the road were concealed with puddles.
Coming over the top of one hill I saw a chance to get away from him. The fog had cleared in a dip and there were two cars driving slowly along the only straight section of road which also had two lanes. I figured that if I overtook them that he would not follow me and that I would drop him.
I overtook them, keeping below 60 mph as I did not want one the cars to turn out to be an unmarked Police car.
The b***er overtook as well. The mountain road is not fenced and there are lots of sheep, cows and horses with suicidal tendencies, so I elected to indicate left and pull over and let him past in his rush to meet his maker. He did so but immediately came to a virtual stop in the next band of fog. Ah ha thought I, 'it's not so easy to be lead driver in fog, much easier to follow up someone else's rear end. He did not like me being close behind him (although I was at a safe distance), and stopped dead in the middle of the road.
I beeped him and eventually he moved on, only to pull over to the left. I very cautiously passed him wondering what he was up to. I was shortly educated as to his intentions when he rapidly accelerated to within 4 meters of my bumper and put his full beam on.
By this time I was descending the truly dangerous part of the mountain with a precipitous drop on one side and being blinded by his headlights in the fog, had to stop. He skidded to a stop, (The Police measured the skid marks at 2.5 meters in length). I GOT OUT OF THE CAR and said "What the **** are you playing at.”
He was a hugely fat man and started to mouth off. I asked him to give me 30 secs of his time so that I could ask him to back off and let us both get home in one piece, but he was not open to any reason. I started to walk back to my car thinking that he was a Neanderthal and that all he needed was a stone club and he called me fat. I thought that this was a bit rich coming from someone who outweighed me by at least 5 stone and told him so with a few choice expletives. THIS WAS A BAD MOVE. for he lost his temper rushed up to me and pushed his face into mine and pushed his not inconsiderable belly against mine, grabbed the front of my jacket and started to force me back against the side of the hill. My injured right knee gave way and I collapsed onto my rear end.
At this point he decided to have a heart attack and collapsed on me. I deflected him off me, unfortunately neglecting to find a soft landing for him. His head hit the Tarmac and he fractured his skull and developed 2 brain bleeds. I assisted him at the scene. He was in intensive care for 5 days in a coma and hospital for 5 weeks.
I spent the night in a Police station, was stripped of my clothes, and had to go to work the next morning without any sleep. I was not charged or arrested.
A week later the Police took my firearms, and my wife's FAC and my FAC off us, pending the results of the Police investigation. 3 witnesses including his daughter supported my statement. My assailant refused to give a statement for 5 months and then gave one stating that he could not remember anything. I had paid for pheasant shooting, my rifle club fees and for my wildfowling club fees so lost money when we could not use our firearms. Also half my poultry has been wiped out by foxes, (I used to shoot 50 a year and have no poultry losses). Today (after 6 months) I learnt that the CPS will not take any action against me. I will learn in the next 3 weeks if we get back our guns. I also had to be investigated by the general medical council as I am a Dr.
MORAL OF THE STORY IS NOT TO GET OUT OF THE CAR.

Thank you for sharing. Sounds harrowing to say the least, and I doubt that all of us would have shown the patience and restraint that you did...

Everything crossed that you get your guns back

Cheers
iain

Well Sir, you seem to have an attitude problem yourself.
Getting out of your car and swearing at people is not conducive to your profession or having a FAC.
You would have been better off if you had stayed behind the two cars leaving a large gap so that he could speed off if he so desired.
You are fortunate that he is not suing you in view of his injuries as I am sure some smart-arse lawyer would love this case.

HWH.

Last edited:
Getting out of your car and swearing at people is not conducive to your profession or having a FAC.
You would have been off if you had stayed behind the two cars leaving a large gap so that he could speed off if he so desired.
You are fortunate that he is not suing you in view of his injuries as I am sure some smart-arse lawyer would love this case.

HWH.

​+1

Two issues here.

1. tailgating motorists this needs to be tackled seriously as an offence by the authorities
it happens every day . Do not speed up, indicate and slow down to allow them to overtake you safely.

2 FAC holders need to be well inside the law, no conduct that could be interpreted as violent, insulting or
abusive in any way. This is particularly important when in possession of a gun as the tables could be
quickly turned against you even when you were initially in the right.

so both driving a car and shooting, always keep calm sober and clear minded.

hope you get back to normal and lesson learnt

Troll

You would have been off if you had stayed behind the two cars leaving a large gap so that he could speed off if he so desired.

If you state that you have never sworn, then you are a liar. I had good reason to use intemperate language.If I had stayed behind the the 2 cars then he would still have tailgated and I would have been no better off. I was not responsible for his injuries according to the Police and the CPS. How can I be responsible for his injuries. HE ATTACKED ME AND HAD A HEART ATTACK IN THE PROCESS. READ THE ACCOUNT PROPERLY.
I am trying to help people with this post but you just wish to cause insult and offence. It does not bother me, it just reflects on the type of person you are

Last edited:
well to the op i had a similar incident exept i didnt get out of the car but run off the road and the car i was in overturned and my friend broke his back. It was unbelievable and to cut a long story short went on for a year in court. something i wouldnt wish on anyone and really hope everything goes ok for you as my situation i did nothing wrong i kept a clear head and didnt encourage the other driver in any way. my downfall was i didnt contact the police as it unfolded and i had one turning to go in another direction away from my route and chose not to. if anybody ever gets in a situation i would urge you to ring the police straight away .
yes nothing can be done by them but you have done the right thing and if anything happens and you dont ring it comes back to bite you on the arse.
things quickly can get out of hand and having an fac means you have to do whats right and by the book or you find yourself in a whole world of pain.
wayne

well to the op i had a similar incident exept i didnt get out of the car but run off the road and the car i was in overturned and my friend broke his back. It was unbelievable and to cut a long story short went on for a year in court. something i wouldnt wish on anyone and really hope everything goes ok for you as my situation i did nothing wrong i kept a clear head and didnt encourage the other driver in any way. my downfall was i didnt contact the police as it unfolded and i had one turning to go in another direction away from my route and chose not to. if anybody ever gets in a situation i would urge you to ring the police straight away .
yes nothing can be done by them but you have done the right thing and if anything happens and you dont ring it comes back to bite you on the arse.
things quickly can get out of hand and having an fac means you have to do whats right and by the book or you find yourself in a whole world of pain.
wayne

+1.

Comment from a chum on Traffic in TVP - "Dial 999 immediately. Give them the registration numbers of as many cars around you as possible as we'll contact them after the event as witnesses to the events..."

Troll

If you state that you have never sworn, then you are a liar. I had good reason to use intemperate language.If I had stayed behind the the 2 cars then he would still have tailgated and I would have been no better off. I was not responsible for his injuries according to the Police and the CPS. How can I be responsible for his injuries. HE ATTACKED ME AND HAD A HEART ATTACK IN THE PROCESS. READ THE ACCOUNT PROPERLY.
I am trying to help people with this post but you just wish to cause insult and offence. It does not bother me, it just reflects on the type of person you are

With respect,the best advice you could give anyone is DO NOT GET INVOLVED........which is what you did and learnt the hard way...

With respect,the best advice you could give anyone is DO NOT GET INVOLVED........which is what you did and learnt the hard way...

I get the impression he already knows that.... but he DID get involved and now he's sharing his experience as a warning to others to NOT get involved.

Respect :tiphat:

I get the impression he already knows that.... but he DID get involved and now he's sharing his experience as a warning to others to NOT get involved.

Respect :tiphat:

I was referring to his response to Stag1933,

with the GREATEST RESPECT:tiphat:

Stag1933's response was uncalled for anyway.... I think after all he's been through the OP realizes that his reaction was not the best decision he's ever made, he doesn't need reminding.

Thanks Si.
I am only posting this as a warning to others. It was a very tough time for both our families (He almost died). My wife told me this morning that this is the first time she has woken up in 6 months not worrying about it. Any public dispute can be taken as affray. Something as minor as saying "Go to hell", can loose you your licence.

Here we go again.
Out come the whiter than white brigade, slanting the OP as an unfit person to possess a firearm because he dared to tell someone that they were bring a prat.
Altercations like this happen hundreds of times a day, because he has one and has firearms doesn't mean he is an unfit person.
Perhaps we should all go skulking around and hiding just incase we say something to the wrong person.
Is it any wonder that we all live in fear when we can't even tell someone they're an idiot.
Grow up and get some b--lls

Some very cheap and reliable dash cams out there now, There have been few ashen faced di**heads after being informed their idiocy is on film.

Thanks Tayhan 1.
Dashcams, that's the first thing I looked up on Ebay after the incident. If I ever get abused again , I am going to keep my cool and say that I am recording everything for Police evidence. I feel that will cool the situation down a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back