what height for a Deer feeder ?

Double four

Been looking at pipe feeders for deer and came up with these to trial a shorter / larger 10" diameter pipe ( to aid filling) reduced to 6" opposed to the popular taller straight 6" tube I had seen on the net.
Now this is where im struggling these are going to be bolted to posts but im struggling to work out height, I want it tall enough to be a problem for brock but then would that be a problem for muntjac ? I was thinking of waist height for reds and roe but don't want to exclude munties if I can help it any ideas ?

DSC01088_zps83fbaddd.jpg

It's looking like it's a secret Bob, tell you what pal I'll give you a hand and we'll set em at different heights and see which get used most :thumb:. You can also set the camera's to see exactly who's eating what for confirmation.

Just out of interest with these feeders, would the deer just come along and empty a whole feeder ? Or would they possibly come, eat some and then leave to come back for more the next day ?

I am thinking of putting up some similar ones but don't want to be filling them every day
Also if you can post a mild plan / material list and where you got them it would be appreciated

View attachment 29998heres some i made last week , the food on the floor is extra what i put down, i have a trail cam set up on it at the minute so i will keep you up dated

View attachment 29998heres some i made last week , the food on the floor is extra what i put down, i have a trail cam set up on it at the minute so i will keep you up dated

223 looking forward to it, they look fairly low do you not have any issues with badgers ?

Lloyd90
Just out of interest with these feeders, would the deer just come along and empty a whole feeder ? Or would they possibly come, eat some and then leave to come back for more the next day ?

I am thinking of putting up some similar ones but don't want to be filling them every day
Also if you can post a mild plan / material list and where you got

Lloyd the fittings are from my mates farm from when he was doing some drainage work, the main pipe is 10" with a 6" reducer a plate in the bottom with drainage holes the lid is cut out of sheet ally bent round a ply circle. I went for the lager dia pipe for the same reason so im not filling every day and the lager size night be better for trying /experimenting with other food stuffs

snowy
It's looking like it's a secret Bob, tell you what pal I'll give you a hand and we'll set em at different heights and see which get used most :thumb:. You can also set the camera's to see exactly who's eating what for confirmation

Looking that way pal aint it :rolleyes: and thanks for the offer . I thought I would certainly get some answers from the professionals on here or people who use them but as usual looks like I will have to find out for myself.
The feeders arnt for enticing deer to shoot over I don't need them for that, they are mainly for diversionary/ supplementary winter feeding to try and reduce reds bark stripping or trashing the wood and newly planted saplings.
Also it would be good to see if it improves the quality of the animals in general, more of an experiment really all I really wanted a guide to what height to set them at.

I have been using these for a while now. I made the six inch pipe type and put them about 18 inches off the ground to stop the pheasant emptying them. The smaller pipe fittings also stop crows and jackdaws from sitting on the end of the pipe and scattering grain all over the place.
The small pipe allows the Roe to get at the food without it being able to get greedy.
I had a young buck visited every couple of hours for a mouthfull and went about his way.
Other deer came at fairly regular intervals.
Trail cams on them is a great idea.I discovered a family of cats I didnt know were there as well as badgers,fox,rabbits,pheasants,dog walkers,bird watchers!!

Thanks for that 243me the end socket is 6"m just the hopper is 10" so I could have it a bit shorter for filling.
A member pm'd me saying that if I had them at waist height that muntys will readily reach up on its back legs to get at the grub where a badger would be struggling ?

If anyone can let me know the list of materials to make one of these and where I can get them it would be greatly appreciated

Lloyd I would have thought you could get them from any builders merchant .
Get a length of lined 10" drainage pipe a connect to 10" reduced to 6" elbow , cut a piece of plastic or waterproof ply for the bottom drill some holes in it to let water escape.
For the lid cut a 10" ply disc and fix with silicone to a 12" disc of alloy or tin sheet and bend edges over for the rain to run off.
Hope this helps DF

Back