Thread: Ring Ouzels

Ring Ouzels

About ten weeks ago I was up on the shoot where I keeper and noticed some unusual birds as i crossed a grass field that was being left for hay. There were about 30-40 hen birds which looked very similar to a female Fieldfair and about 10 what i presumed were cocks which were like a blackbird with a smal white bib. I asked around as I was struggling to ID them in books or online but no one new and i started to question myself.
    Then a few days ago i saw them in a magazine and they are Ring Ouzels and i felt great relief to know that my eyes hadn't deceived me. Anyhow i wondered how many people had seen these birds and in what circumstances and regularity.

See them regularly, but that is in the hills,they are an upland bird closely related to blackbirds.

Have never seen them on low ground , and never knew they frequented your part of the world,hopefully someone will be able to provide an answer to your question.

​I will watch with interest.

There were loads of them on an estate I used to keeper on near Amulree. One foreign guest shot one claiming he thought it was a grouse!!!

They are relatively easy to see on passage in the spring on high ground here in Shropshire - A few pairs breed here on an area called 'The Long Mynd' ( or used to)
    Incidentally if this was a birding forum I would have been shot at dawn for giving away a breeding area
    They are generally in decline in Britain

Just looked it up they are summer visitors (which I knew) from the Mediterranean (which I didn't) what you saw was obviously new arrivals on their way north, most nest on the Scottish hills , with a few isolated sites elsewhere.

They over winter in Spain and North Africa - The Atlas Mountains in Morocco being a favoured site
    An excellent place to see them is North Norfolk in the spring when they fly in off the sea
    I have also seen them in several places in North Wales and in The Lake District

I suspect they are one of the many migrants that are shot by the Europeans on their migration.