270 wsm

Blaser7mm08

Thinking about buying a 270 wsm barrel for my blaser r8 . Anyone using one at the moment ? Sounds good on paper but would like to hear some others thoughts

​Atb blaser

I reload one for a mate,very very good calibre lots of knock down power and quite flat shooting,use the right bullet good for a munty to African plains game

I have had no problem getting components for mine, after all apart from the brass it is all standard 270.

However if I was starting again I might think again as there is not a great choice of bullets in 270, especially heavier ones, I would look seriously at a 300 WSM if you intend to use it for anything other than just UK deer.

no point shooting heavy bullets in the .270 IMO (WSM or Win)

The WSM does have a little bit of an velocity advantage over the .270 Win on paper, in practice it doesn't seem enough to justify the extra powder. (8-12gr in some cases)
Couple of hundred fps with a 130-160gr bullet won't make enough of a trajectory impact

but to be fair a 130gr producing 3000ft/lbs at the muzzle is going to stop most things in its tracks

as for components supplies, ask the question before you buy the gun.
no-one round here will order .277 bullets!! especially the fruitier ones

I have been hoarding and buying everything from 90gr through 160gr whenever I see them!

no point shooting heavy bullets in the .270 IMO (WSM or Win)

The WSM does have a little bit of an velocity advantage over the .270 Win on paper, in practice it doesn't seem enough to justify the extra powder. (8-12gr in some cases)
Couple of hundred fps with a 130-160gr bullet won't make enough of a trajectory impact

but to be fair a 130gr producing 3000ft/lbs at the muzzle is going to stop most things in its tracks

as for components supplies, ask the question before you buy the gun.
no-one round here will order .277 bullets!! especially the fruitier ones

I have been hoarding and buying everything from 90gr through 160gr whenever I see them!
easy to say when you have never used one.

easy to say when you have never used one.

no,
Its easy to say because I have been shooting .270 (in both forms) for over 25 yrs.
I have shot them with everything from 90 to 180gr at crows through foxes, two species of deer and out to 600yds on paper.

I currently have three.

strange comment

no,
Its easy to say because I have been shooting .270 (in both forms) for over 25 yrs.
I have shot them with everything from 90 to 180gr at crows through foxes, two species of deer and out to 600yds on paper.

I currently have three.

strange comment

you have 3 WSMs in 270 (I know you use a std 270)they only came out in 2002,and not once in any of your posts you mention owning a wsm,or have I missed something

Last edited:
you have 3 WSMs in 270 (I know you use a std 270)they only came out in 2002,and not once in any of your posts you mention owning a wsm,or have I missed something

I can't comment on what you may have missed,

Am flattered that you have taken the time to search through my 5789 posts looking for WSM comments though!
I have shot and owned lots of things I may not have posted about. once shot a 1866 .50-70 Springfield at 600yds at Ponteland range...pretty sure I never posted about that...does that mean it never happened?!?!

I have 3x .270 Wins and have shot several 270 WSM's over the last 10 years, I don't own one now as I can't see the benefit of them over the 270Win which I already own ...as I pointed out.....
Never said I own one now, you somehow know more about what I have and have not used than I do though,

OP asked about the cartridge, I believe that my numerous years experience of this cartridge,its direct comparison cartridge and finding components in .277 allow me the courtesy of answering him.....for some reason you don't.
not sure what the issue is here

But now you have derailed the thread and the OP has probably lost the will to come back and read this.... can we get back on topic?

I can't comment on what you may have missed,

Am flattered that you have taken the time to search through my 5789 posts looking for WSM comments though!
I have shot and owned lots of things I may not have posted about. once shot a 1866 .50-70 Springfield at 600yds at Ponteland range...pretty sure I never posted about that...does that mean it never happened?!?!

I have 3x .270 Wins and have shot several 270 WSM's over the last 10 years, I don't own one now as I can't see the benefit of them over the 270Win which I already own ...as I pointed out.....
Never said I own one now, you somehow know more about what I have and have not used than I do though,

OP asked about the cartridge, I believe that my numerous years experience of this cartridge,its direct comparison cartridge and finding components in .277 allow me the courtesy of answering him.....for some reason you don't.
not sure what the issue is here

But now you have derailed the thread and the OP has probably lost the will to come back and read this.... can we get back on topic?

don't flatter yourself mate,I read a lot of different peoples post and take information from there experiences,seems you have no experience of the 270 wsm other then "shooting one" on the odd occasion which wont give you the experience of its advantage over the std 270 wsm.
you cant see the benefit as you have never reloaded,developed or hunted with one.these are the questions the OP wants answering not just " Ive shot one once and found it no better than by std 270" which you will be slightly bias towards.

Blaser
lease PM See It Shoot It for any and all info about 270WSM
He knows all you need to know

no-one else on the site can possibly comment with anything of value...as we have not fired one (enough), shot deer with one or reloaded for one.....despite those that have......:rolleyes:

Blaser
lease PM See It Shoot It for any and all info about 270WSM
He knows all you need to know

no-one else on the site can possibly comment with anything of value...as we have not fired one (enough), shot deer with one or reloaded for one.....despite those that have......:rolleyes:
anyone can comment if they know what there talking about and has actually used one and not just had a shot with one,I shot a 50 cal once but I couldn't tell you sod all about it :rofl:

I've had the 270 WSM , 270 WIN and the 270 Weatherby . At the moment I just have the 270 WIN and 270 Weatherby .

Over the years I have taken a number of deer with the 270 WIN and a few with the 270 WSM . The 270 WSM I had was on one of the Winchester 1885 single shots with the 28" octagon barrel . The one I had shot very well only thing I saw wrong with it was the fact that the trigger pull cannot be made lower then 3 pounds .
The one I had shot nicely with handloads using the Combined Technology 130 grain BST , the Hornady 130 SST and the Barmes 130 TSX . I killed deer with the three bullets no problem . But I didn't see where it did it any better then the 270 WIN with the same bullets .

Over the years of the Short Mag craze I've owned and shot both of the Remington short ultra's , the 270 WSM , the 300 WSM and the 325 WSM . Sorry to say I've not had a chance to mess with the 300 RCM or 338 RCM .

I killed a pretty decent number of deer with the 300 SAUM shooting the Hornady 165 SST and a fair number with the 7mm SAUM using the Hornady 139 SST . As I said in the post above I killed a few deer with the 270 WSM using three different 130 grainers , in the 300 WSM I used the Nosler 150 BT for a deer or two and with the 325 WSM I used the Nosler 180 BT to kill a half dozen deer or so .

For my needs the two SAUM's suited me the best and of the WSM's I owned and messed with I actually liked the 325 WSM the best . Now with all that being said I'd really like to try the 338 RCM at some point .

Hi

I have had a Sako 75 270 Short Mag for a good few years now. I have shot everything with it from fox through to reds. I tended to stick with bullets around 130 gr, either Nos BT or more recently Hornady SST's which are a lot cheaper. Have tried some 90gr HP in it for foxing but could not get them to group for toffee !!

Mostly roe what I have shot with it and with the 130 bullets they always exit, funnily enough I have had more roe run after being hit ( chest shot ) whereas I never seem to do with the 243 and 85 Gr HP's. On the bigger stuff such as Sika and Reds it tends to put them straight down.

I have been to a few guns shops that stock the factory loads ( York guns for one ) but I only reload so not a problem. Can buy brass over here though I normally put an order in with Midway online as they have more choice over in the US. Norma brass seems good, other I have had are Remington and Winchester. I think Hornady do it in WSM now too.

Can say what the major advantage is over the 270,my mate Tw4tem270 has one and seems to fluke most of what he shoots at.... :lol:

** Puts tin hat on **

In the end I just fancied something a bit different, downside is it will probably be a cow to sell on !!

Back