custom knife

jewfish

Ive been a lover of Puuko knifes for a long time now, I just love the traditional materials they use along with some of the best blade makers in the world. I have my knife on its way to me from finland
made buy a very talented knife maker joonas, the blade has a bevel blade made from UHC steel, forged by himself !! brass bolster, with a brass inlayed rivet, and birch burl handle, along with the scandi sheath. hope you like it!! as much as I do.

Last edited:
I have been admiring the Kallioniemi puukkos for a while on BB. His work is exceptional. Simplicity and elegance! The second knife I have designed and being made at the moment is a puukko. It took me ages to figure out what makes his work so appealing. I now think it is the fact that handle and blade form continous lines on the spine and the belly of his knives. Most other puukkos look as if a blad was stuck into the traditional barrel shape handle. With Joona's work one is the continuations of the other. I tried to incorporate that on the puukko that I have designed.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is going to become world renowned for his work. You have a stunning knife. I hope you will enjoy using it.

Peri

Enjoy it, and feel lucky as I came within a hairs width of buying that when it was first listed in BB.

Neil. :)

I have been admiring the Kallioniemi puukkos for a while on BB. His work is exceptional. Simplicity and elegance! The second knife I have designed and being made at the moment is a puukko. It took me ages to figure out what makes his work so appealing. I now think it is the fact that handle and blade form continous lines on the spine and the belly of his knives. Most other puukkos look as if a blad was stuck into the traditional barrel shape handle. With Joona's work one is the continuations of the other. I tried to incorporate that on the puukko that I have designed.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is going to become world renowned for his work. You have a stunning knife. I hope you will enjoy using it.

Peri

​I was just about to link you to this peri , what beautiful work .

Neil I already has a design in the pipe line for another Puuko from joonas, this knife was an impulse buy really It was a toss up as he had two going on BB so I grab it, have you seen the knife he made with the mammoth tooth? What a masterpiece!! He has enough m/ tooth to make another but to be honest it was a bit pricey for me, but I must say I was very tempted.

Very nice work but the handle design on these knives make me a bit nervous. Looks too easy to slip and go straight onto the presumably razor sharp blade. However they have been around and in use for ages so views anybody ?

Very nice work but the handle design on these knives make me a bit nervous. Looks too easy to slip and go straight onto the presumably razor sharp blade. However they have been around and in use for ages so views anybody ?
I'd say that if you're using it properly and for what it was made for then there would be no issue. As you say, a design that has been thoroughly tried and tested over generations...

Redneck one picture shows the bottom of the handle it is tapered and not barrel shape,
peri I would love to see your design when it arrives could you post some pics please?

Puuko a aren't a stabbing knife mate , just for cutting

The wood on that handle is amazing. Your very lucky.

I love knifes but dont see any point in collecting them to look at, its nice to use them but i have no use for a big knife only shooting air rifle quarry.
I have 2 opinels and an EKA No:8. so make do. Its a same there arnt more ornate handles custom made out ther for opinels, pimp my opinel type of thing, blad replacement would be easy enough too.

ATB

Matt

My Knife arrived by post last Sat, I was pleased as I had been stalking with Sika Malc in the morning! And was booked for an evening stalk, the evening stalk was good , a cull buck was spotted and I shot the young buck, out came my new puuko and put it to work, the knife was a tad smaller than I'd expected but the blade being 3 inches I thought it would be perfect for the grallock , boy I was carefull this little knife is razor sharp, and slid up the belly skin like knife through butter, very pleased with the little puuko it's like a work of Art! Now the hard part , keeping it sharp!

here's one I have with a different grip

hi just thought i would add my 2p worth, have quite a few of these knives best to keep them razor sharp by honing them on bone only, very lightly i might add.

Back