first deer rifle in 243

lister

do I go for used bsa parker hale or spend big on new rifle deer stalking is new to me if I like it will go for 270 or 30 cal
​cheers lister

well where to start
firstly BSA and Parker Hale have probably killed more deer that Tikka (a guess but am confident!!)

choose a cartridge
IMO 270 and what is likely to be 308 are not comparable rounds
one shoves 130-150 gr at 3000-3200fps
one shoves 150-180gr at 2800

.243 is a small deer cartridge despite what people can or will insist on using it for

what are you shooting?

one is easy to reload for as .30 components are everywhere
one is the gentlemans calibre and will be the round of choice across scottish estates since time immemorium (I may be biased!)

this is a fine starter:
http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....Magazine-(not-mine)-(currently-at-Scone-Fair)

If its a deer only rifle have you considered 30-06 unless you are going to punch paper then .308 could be a consideration as its popular for that. Yes bit more powder but unlikely you will be firing thousands of rounds.
I shot .243 for over 15yrs but wish i had stepped upto a better suited deer caliber from the outsett and been given better advice.

Last edited:
Lots depends on how long you think you will keep it and what other work you have for it. I spent a reasonable amount on mine knowing it was going to be primarily foxes plus stalking as it came about, with the intention it was going to be a keeper so to speak.

Have you run this past your FEO?

I ask as a lot just love the worn Minimum and the .243 in their eyes is IT!

So I would suggest you speak to the Licensing Office or FEO and see what they say. it has already been mentioned what your use for the rifle will primarily be. Some Forces won't allow larger than .243 for Foxing whilst others are happy to allow larger calibres to be used. Unless you already have the open slot on your FAC then you might save a lot of time and hassle to see what they will "Allow".

May I also suggest you try if possible to shoot a few different rifles and ideally ones in different chamberings and calibres and see what you like. There are those to whom the 270 Winchester is a brute :confused: . It's also wise to see what your usual shooting emporium carries ammunition for JIC.

cheers guys it wil be for deer and fox have slot for 243 on ticket hope to use for a year or so to see if deer stalking is for me
​cheers lister

cheers guys it wil be for deer and fox have slot for 243 on ticket hope to use for a year or so to see if deer stalking is for me
​cheers lister

Good for you :D. Just remember some peoples ideas on stalking may differ quite a bit from what you might think it should be. A lot of places use Hides or seats and it does not suit everyone to sit and wait for deer to show. They prefer proper stalking or as our Americans friends call it "still hunting". I would suggest you try both methods before making up your mind.

I must admit to preferring "Still Hunting" to sitting in a seat but have done both.

Have you run this past your FEO?

I ask as a lot just love the worn Minimum and the .243 in their eyes is IT!

So I would suggest you speak to the Licensing Office or FEO and see what they say. it has already been mentioned what your use for the rifle will primarily be. Some Forces won't allow larger than .243 for Foxing whilst others are happy to allow larger calibres to be used. Unless you already have the open slot on your FAC then you might save a lot of time and hassle to see what they will "Allow".

May I also suggest you try if possible to shoot a few different rifles and ideally ones in different chamberings and calibres and see what you like. There are those to whom the 270 Winchester is a brute :confused: . It's also wise to see what your usual shooting emporium carries ammunition for JIC.

If my in interpretation of the new guidelines to Police forces is correct, that as the 'AOLQ' condition will be used more and more at renewal/variations, the issue of not being allowed to shoot a fox with anything over .243W will slowly be phased out anyway?

Back