7mm-08 Vs. 7mm-08AI

WARDY1

Is it worth it going for an Ackley in the 7mm-08.

What are the advantages/Disadvantages

Cheers

Steve

If you look in the reloading section, you'll see a post I put up (one which folks seemed to step around) that lists a formula for determining the worth of putting up with an Ackley chamber. Basically, it it this: Velocity increases at 1/4 the increase in powder charge for a given barrel bore diameter and barrel length. So, if you could add 10% more powder, you might get 2.5% increase in velocity. "Handloader" magazine (US) did an investigation of this long standing "rule" in 2006 and found it to be correct. If, say, you had a 140 grain bullet at 2800 fps and you could get an additional 10% powder into the Improved case, you will get about 70 fps added velocity. If that's worth it to you, then go for it. ~Muir

have to agree with muir
my advice would be to try the standard calibre first
you can allways get it ackley imp at a later date if you
think you need to .
i shoot the 7mm 08 ackley imp and i really like it
i had the standard to start with but had probs with the whole
set up didnt shoot with it that long so its hard to compare
this new set up was a new barrel ackley imp
and new mod sorry i cant be more helpfull
pete .

I can't see the point UNLESS you have a rifle already in 7mm-08 that you want to put a chamber reamer through.

If you want to try to approach 280 Remington performance then just get a 280 Remington (or 270 Winchester) to begin with...or consider 284 Winchester...or 7mm Remington Magnum and load it down to what you hope to get as an increase in the 7mm-08AI. Remington do a nice "Lite Load" for 7mm Remington Magnum that is about 7mm-08AI performace.

Certainly if you have a "bespoke" or "custom" rifle made in that calibre I doubt that you will ever get the money back on it. It will be extremely difficult to sell.

enfieldspares said:
I can't see the point UNLESS you have a rifle already in 7mm-08 that you want to put a chamber reamer through.

If you want to try to approach 280 Remington performance then just get a 280 Remington (or 270 Winchester) to begin with...or consider 284 Winchester.

In fact on further thought unless you happen to be in France (and where it originated in Mexico) where military calibres are prohibited and it is widely used as a 308 "substitute" I can't see any unique benefit or advantage over say 308, for UK use, in the 7mm-08 at all!

Back