Thread: Dry cure

Dry cure

Hiya does anyone know how to dry cure a muntjac back leg? I've been online but oh my god, any help will be welcome thanx bazil

Essentially, pack it in sea salt in a cool, dry place, and leave it until fluids stop being drawn out of it (from maybe a week upwards). Make sure you drain the box and replace the salt if necessary. Don't use a metal container. Then wrap it in muslin and hang it in a cool dry place for a couple of months. So that's the technical aspects covered but as for making it really nice, well that will take some trial and error...

If it's your first go at it, it's also worth boning it out. The bone seems to complicate things.

And slightly less hit and miss than a full dry cure is to use a brine. We've had a lot of success with e red wine brine: get a couple bottles of cheap red wine, por into plastic container, mix in salt (keep adding until it saturates), add juniper berries, bay leaves and rosemary. Then put the meat in and put it all in the fridge for a week. Take out, wrap in muslin (or use old tights) and hang somewhere dry and cool (good air circulation is key) for at least 10 days.

However, unless you have a cellar or some kind of air conditioning, it's too warm to do it at the moment.

Ok I have just completed this process to create Bressola. We used the red wine brine as the basis and a boned out haunch.

Left it to soak for a week then hung it to dry out for 3 weeks. Weight loss was 50% and it got covered in mold - white mold is ok.

Result was not too pretty but it actually tasted very very good, I was surprised.

I had to cut off the outside 5-10mm as that was too salty (diced and saved for making ham and lentil soup)

In future I would use a little less salt and use the weight loss to judge when it was ready, I guess 30% would be about right.

I agree with Mungo too hot at the moment but well worth an experiment later.

Some pics at

Bressola - a set on Flickr

Get Keith Erlandson's book, Home smoking and curing. Also go to the sausage forum, some very good recipes there!

Or in this heat cut it into long thin strips. Rub with a mix of equal amounts of salt ground back pepper and coriander. Put in a dish and then splash of red wine and / or Worcester sauce or balsamic vinegar. Leave to marinade for a few hours and then hang in a dry airy place. Watch for three or four days till it goes dry and hard and then consume all the biltongue in a couple of days. It should last several weeks once dry, but in our household it never gets a chance. Three of us munched our way through half a roe bucks worth of biltongue in three days!