Available: Rural First Aid and Safety Awareness Course at your location

AviatingJoe

Travelling Freelance Instructor, you get the group, I’ll come to you :)

This innovative approach to First Aid training is directed at all participants in rural pastimes, rural sports enthusiasts, deerstalkers, guides, keepers, beaters and pickers up, so in general, anyone who enjoys being outdoors.
The course allows a hybrid of theory sessions and practical scenarios to aid all learning styles. It is suited to those wishing for a practical working knowledge and confidence in being able to assist someone in distress. Covering all aspects of the Emergency First at Work (EFAW) syllabus means that meeting the basic assessment requirements of the course can provide your employer with an extra first aid trained member of their workforce.
Extra learning outside of the EFAW syllabus includes preparation before heading out, equipment considerations, snakebites, gunshot trauma, dealing with climatic injuries, including hypothermia and heat illness, working alone, incident management, and being found. We also go out and look at practical scenarios including how to get an unconscious casualty down from a high seat, how to administer CPR in a confined space, managing the situation as a lone responder, and many other topics that raise debate and give food for thought.
With instruction coming from Joe, a freelance instructor who forged his knowledge base in the military in various medical roles, including training at the College of Search and Rescue Medicine, being a Battlefield Casualty Drills Instructor and an Immediate Emergency Care medic whilst deployed on the ground in Afghanistan.

£150.00 per candidate, course booklet and Emergency First Aid at Work certification (£135 without certification)

Groups of 5 to 6 are preferred to enhance the quality of training.

Having been encouraged by Pheasant Sniper 1 to do a first aid course, but at the same time, wanting a course that was not just First Aid at Work, and relevant to outdoor pursuits / stalking, I recently attended this course held by Joe, in Norfolk, along with a few others from the SD, and for me it was exactly what I wanted from a short ( weekend ) course, delivered by a very experienced instructor, with proven, hands on knowledge.

The course not only covered the essential basic First Aid knowledge, techniques, and routines, but the practical application of that First Aid, in a remote environment, the understanding of what that might entail ( mountain terrain, clearfell, remote woodland etc ), how to manage the scene / casualty with equipment available in a stalkers day pack / basic first aid kit, and, from Joe, as a experienced Search and Rescue crewman, how best to get the attention, day or night, of a potential SAR crew searching for you, if it came to that. Seasonal factors such as weather, heat, cold, and their influencing behaviour on a casualty were also covered, and explained.

In addition, as Joe is also experienced in battlefield trauma, we were talked through ( via some pretty graphic pictures ) how, in the absolute worst case scenario, to manage a gunshot wound - god forbid I ever have to deal with something like that !!!! But having been shown the results of the casualties, and talked through the very basics of managing something like that, it is not something I would shy away from now I have been shown what can be done.

By no means am I saying I would kick all others aside to attend a casualty, I do acknowledge the boundaries of my `basic` first aid knowledge, but this course strips first aid down to the bare essentials of, assessing the casualty, is it a crush, puncture, or open wound - how to treat it, is CPR required - how to deliver it, assessing the appropriate response / treatment required, and then maintaining the casualty until the cavalry arrives.

For anyone who takes clients out - especially the out of shape ones, or who works remotely, and does not already have a EFAW ticket, I would thoroughly recommend this course. Joe, is a very knowledgeable, practical instructor, with proven experience, and made the learning applicable ( and fun ) to what we do as stalkers.

All the best.

Neil.

Well,my EFAW certificate arrived today,and certainly up to the weekend spent with joe, I’d be the guy who went and got help, or phoned the ambulance, put my jacket over and that’s probably about it.

I couldn’t forgive myself if one of my stalking mates took a tumble, had an injury, fell ill or I found him unconscious etc or if I was out with a member on here and they suddenly came a cropper while stalking and I simply watched, not knowing what to do. We owe it to our self’s to take the initiative and learn some form of life supporting techniques that could potentially one day safe a life.

Should any of us ever be faced with a situation to use it to save your mate, a family member or a complete strangers life, AND YOUR OWN then it’s surely worth it guys it could prove the difference between life and death, and if you’ve tried, I’m sure it’s worth it regardless of the outcome.
A pleasure to be in all of your company and a thank you.

Back