Tracking line Length?

vizslamad

As the above chaps, what length do you use as I have now got a 10 mt one and it seems a mile to long. Maybe I will cut it down and make two 5 mt ones, may come in handy as I am forever losing things.

ATB
John

I at first used a 15ft line but as the dog was working in cover then through a fairly open piece of ground I soon realised a 30 odd ft line was a lot easier for me to stay in contact with the dog.
Hoolit
Every dog deserves a well trained owner.

As the above chaps, what length do you use as I have now got a 10 mt one and it seems a mile to long. Maybe I will cut it down and make two 5 mt ones, may come in handy as I am forever losing things.

ATB
John
Thanks for your replies gents. 10 Meters it is then. One other question the line I have is a biothane one and I thought it would be much more supple than it is so does biothane come in various qualities and in doing so provide more flexibility.
Thanks,
John.

I was using a 10m one with my dog last night and it seemed a good compromise, I had a chance to brace being pulled into brambles and he only once got it wrapped.

I use a 10m in leather and a half of a bright orange shoulder leash clipped on the end all in 11.5 m at the most, works brilliant and I can see the end straightaway

10-12m most popular length with the niggeloh 12m as the current leader,biothane round style in second place 10m

Mine is from these and it is labled Biothane.http://www.k9-equipment.co.uk Have a look folks. As I said I do not think it is very supple.
John.
Now had a good look at these at the game fair and mine is genuine biothane ,just not what I expected. The price fluctuates wildly but at the end of the day they are all the same. One may have a little fancy but not to fancy belt buckle on it and I saw these at one stand going at a £100 for 15 Meters or you could get one for what I paid with a standard swivel clip and change it for a small belt buckle for about £3.00 to upgrade it slightly. Amazing how things go up in price and perceived value if its for deer stalking :cuckoo: and even more astonishing is people go for it. Think its called marketing. Clever.The company I have given the info on has got nothing to do with me and I stand to gain nothing from this, I just hate people being taken.

Last edited:
Saw some great shoulder leads and tracking lines on a tiny German stand at the Game Fair; the guy had not changed his prices from Euro to £ which made them fierce expensive....went to Muntjac Trading and found the same [Niggeloh] for 10% cheaper...vive le exchange rate ;)

Saw some great shoulder leads and tracking lines on a tiny German stand at the Game Fair; the guy had not changed his prices from Euro to £ which made them fierce expensive....went to Muntjac Trading and found the same [Niggeloh] for 10% cheaper...vive le exchange rate ;)
Yep that was the stand next us ( Stalkers Uk ) expensive was not quite the word for it, extortionate springs to mind. Richard purchased a sheath for his Buck knife which was very nice but £45.00 not cheap, he did have a little leather dressing rubbed into though but certainly not twenty quids worth.

Yep that was the stand next us ( Stalkers Uk ) expensive was not quite the word for it, extortionate springs to mind. Richard purchased a sheath for his Buck knife which was very nice but £45.00 not cheap, he did have a little leather dressing rubbed into though but certainly not twenty quids worth.

But the quality ;) ....

I shall be letting my fingers do the walking to Muntjac Trading (or similar) as and when I decide to drop some coin on a tracking line and harness set

Excuse my ignorance but why do you use these?

I only have experience with gundogs so this is an unkown to me.

Excuse my ignorance but why do you use these?

I only have experience with gundogs so this is an unkown to me.

Hi Scubadog

If you haven't been skiing behind a wire through blackthorn and brambles man, you missed out on life. :D Not a nice experience - hence trailing leash. Cuts out the middleman. (NHS) and digging out blackthorn spikes deeply embedded after crashing through at warp speed.

It also keeps the dog steady and in contact with the handler :D Apparently. :rofl:

​Phil

Back