Powder measuring

Afro hunter

Hi out there
I just got my reloading kit a couple weeks and I am about set up in terms of case preparation but the thing am not understanding on the Lee anniversary kit is the powder dispenser and and the scale really I can't get my head around the right charge, on the other hand I bought a digital scale on ebay which is absolutely shyt. My question is there anyone who has used the the scale and the other thingy majig who knows how to work it? My take on them is they are complex and it's doing my ******* head in and I would chuck them away and get the proper digital scale but the only problem I have is that I really don't have the funds to muck about .
I need some serious help here!

Forget digital scales unless you spend a lot of money on them they are rubbish. go on the lee website they have lots of instructional videos also look on you tube

Just noticed you are in Newark i am near gainsborough so if you are really struggling come over and we can go through the basics.

Hi out there
I just got my reloading kit a couple weeks and I am about set up in terms of case preparation but the thing am not understanding on the Lee anniversary kit is the powder dispenser and and the scale really I can't get my head around the right charge, on the other hand I bought a digital scale on ebay which is absolutely shyt. My question is there anyone who has used the the scale and the other thingy majig who knows how to work it? My take on them is they are complex and it's doing my ******* head in and I would chuck them away and get the proper digital scale but the only problem I have is that I really don't have the funds to muck about .
I need some serious help here!

Lee has videos on their website. Watch them. Follow the instructions included with the kit. I'm a hillbilly and I can figure it out. Proper digital scales?? No such thing. Reloaders worth their salt use beam scales. Make sure you balance your scale before attempting to use it. Make sure you negate the static electricity in the powder hopper (per Lee's instructions) before you try to throw accurate charges.

It ain't hard.~Muir

I've found the Lee powder measure to work very well, in fact just a well (or better) than my proper measure, however as I only ever dump the bulk and trickle to weight it doesn't really matter. - What seems to be the problem with the measure, are you getting inconsistent weights?

I'm not a lover of the Lee scales. Although they are accurate when set up properly, I find them very fiddly to set and adjust and I would think easy to make a mistake if you're new to reloading.

I would suggest you look round for a good used beam scale, something like an RCBS 502 or 505 will last a lifetime unless abused. Completely forget about cheap digital scales for weighing powder.

I too didn't get on with the Lee scales. I have been using an RCBS 505 for over 19 years with complete satisfaction. Very easy to use.

Once you have mastered the scales and powder measure -and there are plenty of videos on Youtube to help you do this- I'd seriously consider putting some money into, or saving up for, a Targetmaster trickler.

The procedure is as follows:

1. Zero the scale (don't forget to put the scale pan on first!).
2. With no powder in the trickler, start it running and dial down the sensor slowly until the trickler stops. The trickler is now zeroed.
3. Move the sliders on the scale to set the desired charge weight
3. Half fill the powder measure and set it up to throw just under the charge weight you want. It won't throw identical charges each time so aim to set it to throw charges that lift the indicator at the l/H end of the beam about half-way to the indicator on the scale body. This will ensure that no charge from the measure is heavier than your desire charge weight.
4. Fill the hopper on the Targetmaster with the powder you are using.

With a little practice you can do all this in about 5 minutes.

Now that you're all set up, all you have to do is throw a charge with the measure -I use a shot glass to throw it into (anti-static and high-sided so no kernels stick or bounce out); tip it into the scale pan and place this on the scale. Then press the button on the trickler and you should have just enough time while it does its stuff to throw another charge into the shot glass.

Now you have a super-precise charge on the scale pan and a slightly-underweight charge in the shot glass. So, simply funnel the charge in the scale pan into one of the prepped and primed cartridge cases in your loading block; tip the charge from the shot glass into the scale pan; press the trickler button; and throw another charge from the measure into the glass. Repeat as necessary!

You can adjust the speed the trickler takes by adjusting its tilt via the threaded foot at the front, and/or by setting the powder measure to throw charges that need more topping up. Get it right and you have time to move the funnel to the next case, and to seat a bullet in the case you've just dropped a charge into, before the trickler stops and the next charge is ready to go into the next case. The more practice you get the faster you get, as "dead" time is eliminated.

You can also speed up the set-up process by starting the trickler once you've filled it and manually tilting it until the first kernels of powder fall onto the scale pan (these can then be tipped back into the trickler hopper or the powder measure). This action will "prime" the trickler tube without requiring you to rely on its rotation to work kernels up its bore, which can take a minute or so.

I'm sorry if this seems well beyond your current horizons, but IMO it is the fastest, most consistent and most precise way to assemble rifle ammunition, the best way to get the most out of a basic measure and scale, and is an approach you should look forward to deriving much satisfaction from in future!

Would not waste time and money on a 'targetmaster' - it offers nothing that you cannot achieve by hand.

Would not waste time and money on a 'targetmaster' - it offers nothing that you cannot achieve by hand.
I'm not normally this blunt but: "stuff and nonsense!" No reloading tool I have has increased speed, or made things easier, without adversely affecting precision than the TM.If it didn't do the same for you, may I suggest you weren't using it very well?

good man well done for helping the chap out ,top draw.
digi scales ar't rubbish mine are dps3 i also used beam scales the same set of 505's i'v had for 30yrs both read the same :-| as both can and should be calidrated before use ! but one is faster :doh: in that i mean i can prep cases while the powder is dispensing thus time saved

Just noticed you are in Newark i am near gainsborough so if you are really struggling come over and we can go through the basics.

Last edited:
I'm not normally this blunt but: "stuff and nonsense!" No reloading tool I have has increased speed, or made things easier, without adversely affecting precision than the TM.If it didn't do the same for you, may I suggest you weren't using it very well?

Suggest what you like, it is still a cheapo plastic toy- not suited to a novice who could spend the dosh more efficiently in buying components etc.
Apologies for my assessment not being the same as yours, C'est la vie...

This is undoubtedly true but neither does a dishwasher for washing dishes, a car for travelling from a to b or a calculator for adding up, yet all are generally regarded as progress. I have used a beam scale and hand trickler for ages with satisfaction but find it a bit slow. I have bought a Targetmaster off this site but haven't recieved it yet. I am hoping that it will speed the process up somewhat whilst maintaining charge to charge consistency. Perhaps it will turn out to be a white elephant, only time will tell!

You won't regret buying it, it'll do exactly what you want, speed up the loading process and produce very consistent results :)

Only sold mine as I got a Hornady auto dispenser for very silly money in the US :D

I used a set of these for years and found them very accurate. You need to hook the pan on in the same place though and on mine a small groove filed in the hook did it. The thing I still like about them is that the fine setting is lockable - excellent for keeping it accurate. The downside I found especially when loading for shotgun was the relatively small maximum weight, so I had a lyman set for 'heavy' stuff. I still have that one but have gone to RCBS 505 for most loading.
I would concur with others comments re cheap electronic scales. I've tried and failed to find one that's any good.

Back