Thread: Hi. Just qualified from college and looking for a job!

Hi. Just qualified from college and looking for a job!

Hi. I have just finished studying for my extended diploma in countryside management. I have my DSC 1. I shoot .22, .243, .42 and a 12 bore.
    Keen to find a job - would love one in deer management. Any help to find one gratefully received.
    Thanks

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    It is always sad to tell people the truth but it is better you know now than go in with rose tinted specs.

Getting a job with anything to do with deer management is near impossible. You will almost certainly have to have a degree if you wish to pursue anything with the any forestry body unless you are very well connected.
    My advice is very simple.
    1. Go onto the CJS website
    2. Do not ever mention shooting unless you are asked
    3. If you cannot find a job quickly then get volunteering. There are plenty of things on the CJS website as this will get you connected. It will also stop you from getting too dispondant. It will also help build your CV
    4. Get round to the local shoots and offer your help for free. They network too
    5. Get a pro CV done
    6. Get yourself down the job club as they have jobs from CJS that you won't see unless you subscribe to their service
    7. Bang on every door and keep banging until someone either tells you to PI££ off or interviews you. You have to show tenacity
    8. Don't ever, ever give up and if all else fails start your own business. The UK is one of the easiest countries in the world to start up.

I am one of the most tenacious people I know. If I want something almost nothing will stop me. It has got me a lot of what I have today.
    Last edited by teyhan1; 15-07-2013 at 19:42.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    It is always sad to tell people the truth but it is better you know now than go in with rose tinted specs.

Getting a job with anything to do with deer management is near impossible. You will almost certainly have to have a degree if you wish to pursue anything with the any forestry body unless you are very well connected.
    My advice is very simple.
    1. Go onto the CJS website
    2. Do not ever mention shooting unless you are asked
    3. If you cannot find a job quickly then get volunteering. There are plenty of things on the CJS website as this will get you connected. It will also stop you from getting too dispondant. It will also help build your CV
    4. Get round to the local shoots and offer your help for free. They network too
    5. Get a pro CV done
    6. Get yourself down the job club as they have jobs from CJS that you won't see unless you subscribe to their service
    7. Bang on every door and keep banging until someone either tells you to PI££ off or interviews you. You have to show tenacity
    8. Don't ever, ever give up and if all else fails start your own business. The UK is one of the easiest countries in the world to start up.

I am one of the most tenacious people I know. If I want something almost nothing will stop me. It has got me a lot of what I have today.
    +1 One of the best responses I have heard to a job seeker Good luck James

head up james only you can make it happen some sound advice from teyhan1

Quote Originally Posted by seprim View Post
    +1 One of the best responses I have heard to a job seeker Good luck James
    Spot on seprim spot on Graham
    Save Water Drink Single Malt

Welcome to the site, and welcome to our world keep trying

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

SD Regular
    Noth Yorkshire(ish)....Other places in Scotland depending Which deer i'm after!
    Just concentrate on getting a foot in the door in the shooting industry for now and not worry too much about getting into deer related work straight away. There's an advert on guns on pegs classifieds looking for a college or school leaver, get in touch there and see what's involved.
    Better still..... Go learn a trade and earn plenty I money, that way you can stalk when it suits you!!!!