Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farm animals and dead pipts

Farm animals and dead pipts

It is my understanding that no farm dead stock is to be put into a dead pip, only wild animals that have not been through a larder.

Yesterday i was called out to distpatch a Jacobe ram which had been hit by a car, on arrive at the sene there was a gathering of people from the local village, all said this animal had been running wild for some time and nobody seemed to know who the owner was, a quick phone call to the police to let them know and get an indecent number for the insurance.
    dispatched the very distressed ram and then asked the police for advice, had this been a deer then it could be put in a dead pit or just dragged away from the road and houses to let nature take its course, but this was a farm animal and can't be delt with the same way, I have spoken to the police today and they can't trace the owner thought DEFRA, they did say the local county concil would pick it up.
    on passing tonight I see its still there and with today's heat and flys going to be a bigger problem soon.

anybody know the law in such a case and what would you do ?

has it got ear tags, if so trading standards will know ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    has it got ear tags, if so trading standards will know ownership.
    Ear tags might enable the owner to be traced... or they might not.

What should happen now, I think, is that the local council (trading standards) should ask the nearest Fallen Stock collector to take it away. That is presuming that the owner can't be tracked down.

And you're right, farm animals can't be disposed of on farm anymore.

Ear tags tell you the parish where it was born and registered, technically every time it moves parish the local authority should be informed and they will keep records. Guess what, it doesn't always happen. You've done all that can be expected of you both professionally and legally , perhaps a follow up call to local council, but as they are incapable of fixing potholes I won't expect them to be in any rush to collect a rotting carcase

Last deer I shot was at the side of the road for a full week before they collected it. If it has turned to soup that is not your problem.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Cant be buried on farm anymore but there are some exemptions offshore islands for example.

SW Birmingham (Rubery Rednal)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookingfat View Post
    [...] a quick phone call to the police to let them know and get an indecent number for the insurance. [..]
    I thought this sort of number was more usually found in phone boxes, but it seems the police are giving them out now!

Sorry, but this slip of the fingertips made me smile!
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 17-07-2013 at 16:20.

Yep, roadkill/despatch is the council's responsibility.

Couldn`t it have been used as dog food?
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Couldn`t it have been used as dog food?
    You never know if it has been treated with drugs for anything...