FAC accompanying Police letter.

Chrislumox

Looking for your take on the accompanying letter enclosed with my FAC

The letter is as follows,

Prior to acquiring any firearms you must have a gun cabinet installed at your home address- please
contact (blah blah blah) at (blah blah blah) once you have installed one and they will arrange for an inspection to be carried out.
you MUST NOT ACQUIRE any weapons until you have suitable security in place.

now i have suitable security installed by way of an approved cabinet that is attached to the fabric of the property and also a separate combination safe situated elsewhere in the house

So is this saying once i have a cabinet installed i can acquire a firearm or does it need to be inspected before? the wording just seems to be a bit vague

Chris.

Legally the responsibility for security falls on the individual FAC holder.

Most (all?) forces like to inspect your cabinet initially. Give them a ring and see. I expect they mean they would like to see it, but there is no legal compulsion for you to do so. Play ball and ring them.

Legally the responsibility for security falls on the individual FAC holder.

Most (all?) forces like to inspect your cabinet initially. Give them a ring and see. I expect they mean they would like to see it, but there is no legal compulsion for you to do so. Play ball and ring them.

thanks for the quick reply Apache,

ive rang 3 times over the space of a few weeks and had no joy as yet (answer machine), i guess it's just a case of patients and consistency.

thanks again

​chris.

thanks for the quick reply Apache,

ive rang 3 times over the space of a few weeks and had no joy as yet (answer machine), i guess it's just a case of patients and consistency.

thanks again

​chris.

send them an e mail and advise them you have it installed and ask them to acknowledege the mail.I always deal with Northumbria this way then they and I have a record

Says "until you have suitable security in place" not "until we have inspected the cabinet."

Keeps records of your attempts to contact them in case they get shirty.

If you have suitable security in place such as a gun cabinet and separate one for ammo. installed out of sight in a main supportive eall with expansion bolts and you cannot slidethe tip of your finger behind the edges..then you are ok to acquire firearms..if the police wish to inspect..well thats up to them..but yes..i would keep a record of attempts to contact.them as well

Is this the initial grant for your fac?I know all forces seem to do things differently, but in Essex my cabinet was infected when they came for the interview (prior to grant of my fac), therefore In effect i was not able to buy any firearms before my cabinet had been inspected.

I had my cabinet in place but not secured when i had my FEO visit. I explained to the FEO that it was going to be bolted to the floor and he was more than happy. No further inspections have taken place to check this. (It has been done!!!!)

That was Suffolk

You come under one of, if not the most, sensible firearms departments in the Country just ring them and tell them the state of play, its just a matter of being polite and not ruffling feathers. I have never had any difficulty ringing Inverness firearms you must be the unluckiest man in the world to get the answer machine three times:D. I am surprised they did not reply to you answerphone message, you did leave one?

John

You come under one of, if not the most, sensible firearms departments in the Country just ring them and tell them the state of play, its just a matter of being polite and not ruffling feathers. I have never had any difficulty ringing Inverness firearms you must be the unluckiest man in the world to get the answer machine three times:D. I am surprised they did not reply to you answerphone message, you did leave one?

John

hi jayb

ye i phoned the 08 number on the letter and left a msg for the officer i also contacted him direct on his mobile twice, he is a busy man that's for sure.

so today i phoned HQ and spoke to the firearms dept and the girl informed me im good to go aslong as i am happy with the installation and the inspection is just a matter of course.

i must agree with (You come under one of, if not the most, sensible firearms departments in the Country)
​fast efficient and very helpful that's for sure

​chris

Back