Bipods Attached to Rifle Barrel

greville1689

My rifle does not have swivel mounts in the fore-end, but rather has a band round the barrel. I know that Harris make an attachment that fits round the barrel to which a bipod can be fitted. My question is does it work well, as resting a barrel effectively directly on to a bipod may well effect the harmonics. Grateful for any thoughts, comments and advice.

I would think the transfer of rifle weight trough the barrel to the bipod would have a drastic effect on zero.

I was told, don't know how accurate this is that to achieve a 1" group at 100m, you need to keep your barrel/crown within 1/32nd of an inch. Movement above this, will give a group in excess of 1".

I'm sure Pythagoris (spelling) would prove this, but not remembering trig that well from school, I'll let someone else work it out.

I'm sure that a bipod on the barrel would cause movement/bend in the barrel in excess of 1/32".

Cheers
TJ

You will NEVER get a rifle to shoot any sort of group with the bipod on the barrel!
Unless its 1" thick..

regards
griff

tartinjock said:
I would think the transfer of rifle weight trough the barrel to the bipod would have a drastic effect on zero.

I was told, don't know how accurate this is that to achieve a 1" group at 100m, you need to keep your barrel/crown within 1/32nd of an inch. Movement above this, will give a group in excess of 1".

I'm sure Pythagoris (spelling) would prove this, but not remembering trig that well from school, I'll let someone else work it out.

I'm sure that a bipod on the barrel would cause movement/bend in the barrel in excess of 1/32".

Cheers
TJ

If a 24" barrel moves only 1/32" the best you get is a 5 1/2" group :eek:

Well guys i don't know what your all shooting with, I have a BRNO Fox .222 with a barrel mounted BI pod ,which shoots extremely small and tight groups at 100 meters plus .

I don't put any fore end pressure on the weapon ,when firing it one hand on the pistol grip the other in below the stock ,the weapon then is only resting on the BI pod .

But surely WS,

That is not a free floating barrel? A free floating bedded barrel is made to shoot at its best by being just that!

If its a BRNO it probably is bolted to a half stock with a 3" bolt so isnt free floating anyway!!

T

Would it not be a better proposition to have a forend swivel stud fitted?

As already mentioned, if your barrel is not free foating you probably won't see any difference in the way it shoots.

moses said:
Would it not be a better proposition to have a forend swivel stud fitted?

As already mentioned, if your barrel is not free foating you probably won't see any difference in the way it shoots.

The rifle is a very old Rigby with a slim stock which may not take a swivel. Apart from that it would trash it!

Back