Parker Hale - Sporter or Safari?

Toxster

Looking to buy my first rifle end of August when the FAC is sorted. I have settled on either a Parker Hale Sporter or Safari, mainly for financial reasons but also as I like old rifles.

Anyone know the key differences between the Sporter and Safari models? I'm struggling to find much info. on the web.

Similar style BSA remains a wildcard option, but that's another thread.

Thanks.

Parker Hale rifles were warranted to shoot under 3" at 100 Yards using Norma factory ammunition. And whilst some shoot a lot better do not, unless you want to be disappointed, expect much better than 1" to 2" groups at that distance with ANY SORT of ammunition...factory or handloads.

Joe Beatham at Gunshop East Barnet has always a good selection of such rifles AND 'SCOPE MOUNTING BLOCKS FOR THEM.

Hi

Brithunter (Kevin) on the SD will be able to answer your questions - he has many a PH/BSA rifle etc.

I have an M81 Classic (from new) and mine shoots <1" groups at the 100yds. When the Nobel Rifle No.1 powder runs out that may change............

L

I had a Parker Hale 1200 Safari. It had a heavy barrel, this might be the difference between the 2. I got mine about 28 years a go 2nd for £135 including the rcbs dies. I sold the rifle 10 years later for the same as I bought it for. It was in mint condition. It was a .243 and would group sub half inch with 70 grain ballistic tips, 39 grains of N140

20120514_153416.jpg20120501_214307.jpg20120512_191949.jpg
Parker Hale rifles were warranted to shoot under 3" at 100 Yards using Norma factory ammunition. And whilst some shoot a lot better do not, unless you want to be disappointed, expect much better than 1" to 2" groups at that distance with ANY SORT of ammunition...factory or handloads.

Joe Beatham at Gunshop East Barnet has always a good selection of such rifles AND 'SCOPE MOUNTING BLOCKS FOR THEM.

RUBBISH CLAIM!!!
Middle pic is my parker hale 30.06. left hand pic is a group with my 150gn handloads. right pic is a group with factory federal rounds distance about 85yds.

Yep, def. after a heavy barrel as it will get lots of target use. Trying to avoid a Gibbs/Midland any info on identifiers would be great.

A Midland is made on a Springfield '03 bolt so it will have a third lug on the right side that visibly beds against the rear receiver ring. Those P-H rifles made on a Mauser 98 bolt will have a third lug but it will be on the underside of the bolt hidden in the raceway below the rear receiver ring.

However when properly done there's nothing wrong with a Springfield '03 as this video shows...or with a Gibbs.

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903-a4_sniper_rifle_.html

Last edited:
I have the 1967 (or maybe 1968) PH catalogue.

If you want to take a look, PM your email and I will scan and sent the relevant pages.

I've owned both, and still own a safari in 30-06. To be honest I've been lucky with P-H's, all the ones I've owned have shot very well. I had one in 308 Norma Mag that would put 3 rounds into a half inch all day...... if I didn't blow the shot that is. They're still popular and sought after over here and have a very good reputation.

AB

So, basically only get a Mauser 98 actioned rifle (if I want to avoid the American versions). Enfield - I'm sure you're right that the yank ones are ok, it's just that I want an all-British rifle.

Have a chat/PM with Adamant on here - he's an avid PH Mauser action fella - and nice to boot. He's probably even got a couple kicking around 'spare'!

Will PM Adam Ant..? Meanwhile one dealer just sent this...thoughts? The gun is marked both Precision sports inc Cortland NY and Parker-Hale ltd. :?:birmingham england...

EDIT: SCRUB THIS IT TURNS OUT THIS IS A 2600-MIDLAND

GEDC0003.JPGGEDC0002.JPGGEDC0001.JPGParker-Hale-model-2600-D140400.jpgParker-Hale-model-2600-A140400.jpgGEDC0006.JPGGEDC0005.JPGGEDC0004.JPG

Last edited:
Ahhh yes the Safari name was dropped when they went to numbers like the Model 1000, 1100, 1200 and later M81 in the sporting/stalking line up. we won't go into the military and target models here. many Safari models are not marked so which causes confusion and this non marking of models is what caused me to start collecting the Parker-Hale catalogues of which I now have over 20 of them. yet still have many years missing. The switch over from the name safari to the model numbers seems to have been 1968-71 as in the #70 catalogue the Standard Safari is also labelled as the Model 1000. The Models 1100 deluxe and 1200 Super are also listed in this one.

1969 is one of the years I am missing but I see the #68 lists the Super safari also as the model 1200.

IMHO I would avoid any that have Gibbs Rifle company on them as they were very shoddily put together if so bad that the American Gibbs outfit closed very quickly being in operation for less than two years. It seems the whole set up and running of it was very shady from the start.

The Midland 2100 was a fine rifle and was not a yank model. The yank one was the 2600 and quality was lacking in an awful lot of them.

The later Parker-Hale rifles were built, models 1000, 1100, 1200 and M81 upon Spanish made Mauser 98 clone actions. often the word "Spain" can be read on the side of the rear tang. So decry these actions but I can honestly say that I have found no problems with them and own several with thsi marking. It was rumoured to be "Santa Barbera" of Spain which made them for Parker-Hale.

The Model 1200 came is several variants being the "Super", "Varmint" "Super Clip" Super magnum" and "TX (which was the target version).

Model 1100 also came s the "Deluxe", "African magnum" and later the "Lightweight"

Most used a "Timney" type adjustable trigger however some retained the standard Mauser two stage trigger to watch out for this. My own 1100M in .458 Win Mag has the Mauser type trigger fitted and it was made in 1981.

The Model 1200 had it's styling revamped in the 1980's to a more rounded style losing the angled fore tip of the stock to a rounded one still made in Rosewood but again this was not across the whole range with the older style still being available.

This is a 1200C (Super Clip in 25-06) with the rounded style:-

This is a late manufactured 1200 super witht eh earlier style:-

14067533.jpg

Just out of the box in this photo. the rifle is chambered in 7.92mm (8x57 Mauser)

This is an 1100 lwt:-

339209413.jpg

in .308 Win.

and this a model 1000:-

378384948.jpg

​in .243 win that I looked at but rejected due to previous owner abuse.

​I hope that is of some help.

Well that's bull.

I had a PH Pro Stalker in .243 that did this at @150 yards.

101_0084.jpg

ooh toxster if you do get that one can i pop round to look at the mag i want to copy one I tried to buy one in the us but they wouldnt export, atb wayne

'course you can.

So far then it looks like:

-Must be Mauser 98 Actioned (An American Midland PH bolt will have a third lug on the right side that visibly beds against the rear receiver ring. The UK P-H rifles will have a third lug but it will be on the underside of the bolt hidden in the raceway below the rear receiver ring, M98 bolt handle has a teeny bend so it angles rearward)
-Rear tang may have "Spain" on it, which devalues it but isn't a deal breaker
-Avoid 2600
-2100 are Midlands, but ok
-1100's are the sexiest
Brithunter if that 1100 every wants a new home....:love:

Last edited:
The standard magazine fitted tot eh 1200C is one of these :-

The one fitted the rifle in your photos is from the 1300C "Scout".

Blimey - how much is the std mag and will the Scout one work ok? You saying that second rifle is a 1200c? The first one it turns out is a 2600, so that's out.

Last edited:
Back