Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quads, treat them with respect!

Quads, treat them with respect!

I went to my friends farm to zero my rifle this afternoon, as I was leaving I bumped into him as he was driving his quad out of the yard with a huge water drum on the back full of weed killer, crazy as it might seem I thought to myself that looks pretty 'iffy' knowing the steep terrain he drives on, but he has been my friend for over 20 years and knowing him as I do he would have told me to bugger off if I told him of my concerns, but off he went with his farm hand to the fields.
    I walked in home 10 minutes later and my wife said he had just called on the farm hands mobile, his farm hand was driving him to the emergency department (I have yet to find out why they didn't call the emergency service) he was driving uphill and the quad tipped up and rolled on him.
    He asked us to ring his wife, a few hours later his wife arrived at my place, he has broken 6 ribs, collar bone broken in 2 places and also his elbow is badly injured.
    But thankfully no lasting damage, he had a close shave.
    Deer stalking and fly fishing opportunities in Devon

Glad your friends ok I rolled them a few times when I worked in Perthshire once with 2 stags on luckily done no harm

Hopefully your friend has a speedy recover and there is no lasting damage. I have rolled one quad years back when i worked on the farm, Sh*t me right up.

Anyone who has not been over the high side of a bike, or not rolled a quad, is just waiting in line, when you have had that ultimate learning experience, you are never again so bold as to "Try it on"
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I had 1 roll on me and the head keeper of the Estate which I was guiding on years ago. A dirty big Polaris, a Stag on the back and keeper came crashing down on me as we crossed a ditch. Luckily no harm done!!! I was pinned under the whole lot with a set of antlers either side of my head... It took me years before I went back on another quad..

The rifle is always loaded, the horse will always kick, and the quad will always tip. They are invaluable but also bloody dangerous treat them with respect, they are not the tool for liberty takers!

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Poor chap, things got a little worse, in addition to the above his lung collapsed and his shoulder blade is also fractured, a lesson learnt me thinks.
    Deer stalking and fly fishing opportunities in Devon

I won't go into the various mishaps I have had in 25 years with quad bikes. I think they are just like any of the other tools we have, they have many uses and we would not want to turn the clock back and try and farm without them. Don't blame the machine (not that you were!) just recognize their limitations. But of course you will never know what the limits are until you reach them, then the fun starts.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends accident and hope he gets well soon.
    Do they make roll cages for quads?